I was hoping there'd be more discussions in here, so here's another question

Anyone know where to get premade body and neck SVG’s?

How the Strat body on the x-carve product page? I know a while back it was they’d be released, but no sign of them.

1 Like

I might be able to give it a whirl. I’d have to convert some of my AutoCAD files to SVG to get it to play nice with easel.

2 Likes

That would be very cool!

The funny thing is I already had several from grabcad I forgot about. The dxf files won’t work in Easel will they?

Easier said than done. I’m usually pretty good at figuring out software but the learning curve on Fusion is REALLY steep.

Im pretty sure that you can convert DXF files to SVG in programs like Inkscape.

1 Like

You can do it!!! Yes it seems very complex at first with all the options and such. If you sit down and start messing with fusion you will realize it is no different than photoshop, gimp, or inkscape the basics of making a shape are pretty much the same with the exception that you work in a 3d space instead of 2d. If you can draw a box in a drawing program you can make a cube in cad program just as fast. After learning that import some svg files then the real fun begins you can turn them into complex 3d designs in a very short time.

1 Like

How might one go about importing svg to Fusion 360? I just tried it and it doesn’t even see the svg files.

List of guitar plans / projects at: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable

GrabCAD is an “OK” resource, but very difficult to manipulate and work around to eventually import into Easel. I took my CAD Strat style template and made Easel projects out of it. There’s 3 separate ones for each process that I typically do: Drill, Engrave, and Profiles. Let me know what you guys think and I hope it helps some of you get started. I don’t use Easel for my cutting, so please let me know if anything looks weird. In the profile project you’ll notice 2 small pieces between the larger body routs. These insert into the cavity in the right template to block off areas for separate routing depths. Remember that these projects are for making a routing template. They are not for cutting out the full body on the X Carve.

Drill

Engrave

Profiles

2 Likes

There is an insert option that will let you Import SVG files and converts them into sketches you can use. Here is a video of the process.

enter link description here

1 Like

I looked everywhere except “insert”.

1 Like

There’s this too - Schablonen und Zeichnungen - GitarreBassBau.de

Lots of drawings of guitars to work from.

Nice info, it is now time to Xcarve me an axe!

1 Like

I would really appreciate that! I’ve been wasting a WHOLE LOT of time just trying to find basic body and neck SVG files. It’s killing me!

1 Like

That’s because no one in the professional industry uses SVG files. They’re all using either DWG or DXF files.

I’m looking for strat, LP, and Firebird right now. Nothing I find coverts well to easel, and once there there are no tools to modify anything. I’ve tried doing the image trace with no luck. Recently I thought I had a good file to import, but when I did I realized that Easel treats every line as the same image and there was no way to tell it to carve at different depths for pickup cavities and the outside body contours.

I’m now using Aspire. I like it, but without easel, how do I get my laptop to communicate with the CNC and control it? I thought there was a program called Mach3 included with the X-carve electronics but I don’t see it anywhere. I went to the Mach3 site and they want you to pay for it. I want to go directly from Aspire to the CNC if I can, easel doesn’t even give me any way to control my machine without running the machine settup.
Thanks!

Mach3 does not work with a grbl based CNC controller like the original X-Carve controller or the new controller. Mach3 requires different electronics.

1 Like

I tried that first. When I import the gcode into Easel, it changes the location of the toolpath to about x/y 2"/1.5" and there are no tools in easel to work with gcode. You can either accept it as Easel shows or close and it goes back to drawing screen with nothing on it.