If you had to do it all over again

No.

We have always been allowed to make exceptions after purchase but we can’t advertise it.

Who told you otherwise?

1 Like

ChrisRice I can confirm, I emailed the Inventables team a few months after I bought my 1000 x 1000 and I inquired about Vectric pro and they told me they would honor the at purchase price…

I’m saving for Aspire currently so when I’m ready, I’ll send a message off to Inventables and give them a heads up prior to checkout.

I started with a 500mm shapeoko2; I learned a lot. I eventually upgraded to a 1m xcarve with x rail on all 3 and a linear z. I really wouldn’t change much. It’s just the way I want it. I learned along the way, and that was one of my goals.

Linear Z does what?

Thanks

The linear z axis is a weak par ton the xcarve. It moves the router up and down.
https://discuss.inventables.com/t/cnc4newbies-linear-z-questions/40434

Ive been seriously considering buying this upgrade…is there that much increased accuracy and stability in the Z rail after this install?

Just starting out eh. I’d suggest you read through these forums…there is a ton of great info out here. There’s also a Facebook group you can join where a lot of the same regulars post often.

1 Like

I bought a Rigid from Home Depot. Quite quiet, not sure how it will hold up but for around $100 a great deal.

There is, it’s called Vectric Vcarve

Truth is with all the upgrades Inventables has done to the kit, I would suggest buying it as is, use Easel to learn then there are plenty of good upgrades worth making. But you’re much better off starting slow and learning both the hardware and software ins and outs.

1 Like

@BrianSaban - Yes, but let me amplify - something reasonably priced for a hobbyist who uses the machine ~30 times a year. I can’t justify $699 for vCarve Pro - that’s more than I paid for my original SO2. Even $349 for the desktop version is beyond what I’m willing to pay. And, I have a Mac - the last thing I want to do is fire up Parallels every time I want to do CAM. Right now I’m 100% native and I love it. I’d like to keep it that way.

1 Like

@RobertCanning - all based on the original SO2. The X-Carve as the “upgraded” Z axis with the Acme lead screw.

I also started with the Shapeoko 2 and upgraded through the years as the x-carve matured. The kit as it stands now is very good and a ton can be done with it out of box. However the OP asked what could be done at build time to make it more (better) - I think that the linear Z axis and the tall riser plates with angle bracket supports along the Y are the two(three) things that someone could do to really not have to mess with the machine in the near future.

I would also look at the other major CNC offerings. Each one is bigger and more rigid but also more expensive, so you have to figure out where you want to be on the price-quality spectrum.

X-Carve -> Shapeoko 3 -> CNC Router Parts -> Tormach

How are you using the dial indicator in this setup? I’m considering buying the system and I’m brand new to all of it. I have a good digital caliper, does it do the same thing?

You can use it to check bit and collet runout, tram the spindle, can also be used to dial in the steps. There are many uses.

I purchased the software with my machine then used Easel for the first year or 2 because it was so easy to use. Finally started using V-carve pro that I paid for with my machine and have not gone back to Easel other than using it as a sender program. V-carve has so much more to offer as you get better with the machine and thanks to YouTube tutorials it is very easy to learn. I say get it at the discounted price if thats still part of the package deal otherwise you will find yourself paying full price later. Pretty sure you can download and play with a free trial version as well if you want to get a feel for it.

Zach stated that the discount prices for v carve still apply to xcarve owners to a later date.

Look at post #20

Well shoot, wish I would have known that, could’ve saved myself $20. I bought my X-Carve 1000mm back in June and then at the end of July went ahead and got VCarve Desktop directly from Vectric. I thought I had seen it commented in the forums at that time that you couldn’t get the discount after the fact. :frowning: Live and learn.

I realize this post is YEARS old, but I just came across it, and was unaware of this discount. Is this still available, and if so, how do I find/apply it?