Ignoring the Smart Clamp

Hey there everyone,

I am new here and just purchased the Carvey a few months ago for my high school Digital Arts class. I have been learning a lot but one frustration I have is that the size of the clamp on Easel seems much larger than it is on the actual wood. This reduces my cut area significantly in the bottom right. Is there any work around for this? Thanks for your help!

Hey @JordanDunn! I’ll do my best to help you out.

The red area in Easel indicates an area not safe for carving because of the smart clamp’s location. While it does seem excessive, this space is necessary to ensure that the collet on the Carvey spindle—not just the bit—doesn’t hit the smart clamp during a carve. In other words, the red space doesn’t indicate the smart clamp itself, but the clearance needed for the collet to avoid the smart clamp while carving down into a project.

Unfortunately, this red area in Easel cannot be removed, modified, or ignored for any carve. We know the red area isn’t applicable for all types of carves (for instance, a shallow engraving) but the only way we can guarantee that the clamp stays safe is to impose this out-of-bounds area for all carves. I’m very sorry for the inconvenience but appreciate you understanding!

1 Like

That makes sense! Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

well in this case this may compromise the specifications they have stated no? of: Work Area
Width (X-axis): 11.6 inches (29 cm)
Depth (Y-axis): 8 inches (20 cm)
Height (Z-axis): 2.75 inches (7 cm)