Importing a gridded pattern photo

How can I import a photo from a plan that a gridded pattern and get it to proper scale?

Hello @EricSchmidt1, and welcome to the forum!

If it is just an image, you can use the Image Trace app. The image needs to be of pretty good quality and larger is better if there are tons of details.

When imported, you can combine all of the objects, if there are separate ones, and you wish to do so. Then, you would just lock the length & width aspect ratio and set one of them to the desired value. If you have or can link to the image in question, I can help you out with an Easel project to get you started.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

1 Like

Those are the 3 pictures that I want to upload. Any help is greatly appreciated!

you could do the image trace in inkscape, and then overlay another rectangle set to the desired size and then adjust the image trace to match up to the size scaled rectangle that would make re-sizing easier than doing it in Easel. It can be done in easel, but it’s more difficult to get the re-size perfect.

Here is an example I worked up for the Rocker and Back Leg patterns…

All I did was remove the grid pattern and the background-color, and then, I used the Image Trace app in Easel. All that was left was the resize accordingly; although the shape may not be exactly 100% correct. For that, you would need a different type of input. That being said, it’s probably more than good enough for a rocking horse.

You would do the same for the other patterns…

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

I appreciate the help very much, Brandon. How did you remove the grid and background?

1 Like

Just a lot of time and manual manipulation…

Also, the drill holes are approximate…to say the least…

Brandon Parker

I guess I have some playing around to do to figure it all out. This is very new to me still. Trying to figure out right now how to get the drill holes to move when the leg is flipped (the two legs are mirror images). The drill hole locations aren’t critical. They are just for screws. I do worry about the size of them though. If I can delete them somehow, that might work out better. And how to make the notch a little smaller (or even remove it so that I can finish it on the table saw and have it be square instead of having radiused corners.

To change things, you need to unlock the items in question. I typically lock all items once I place them to ensure their position does not get changed by accident.

I have updated the projects to have a duplicate (reversed) leg on the second workpiece. I have also created a third workpiece that just has the cutouts of the legs.

It would be more accurate if you allow the machine to mache the holes and the dado cuts. Can you describe how they would need to be? I attempted to get them as close as I could using the grid size since the images did not describe them in too much detail.

If you open the project again from the link above, you will get a new sandbox project that has the changes.

Brandon Parker

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.