Inkscape plugin error

I am getting the following error each time i try to create gcode for my laser/xcarve combo.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “laser.py”, line 3173, in
e.affect()
File “/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/extensions/inkex.py”, line 268, in affect
self.effect()
File “laser.py”, line 3170, in effect
self.laser()
File “laser.py”, line 3032, in laser
self.check_dir()
File “laser.py”, line 2554, in check_dir
if self.options.directory[-1] not in ["/","\"]:
IndexError: string index out of range

I found a code change that was supposed to help but it seems the code was already changed.
I just want to cut foam board and I am so frustrated. is there another software that will do this for the laser?

Thanks,
JB

Have you set a valid destination directory for the file to be written to? this is a common thing that is over-looked.

here is a link to the set-up instructions https://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=1980 make sure the directory field contains a location on your system that you have access to write files to.

Hi,
I have the same problem but i doesn’t come from my directory path. I’ve tried on a mac and pc, both paths are correct and they are writable.

Any idea ?

My exact error message is :

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “laser.py”, line 3173, in
e.affect()
File “/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/extensions/inkex.py”, line 283, in affect
self.effect()
File “laser.py”, line 3154, in effect
self.get_info()
File “laser.py”, line 2884, in get_info
recursive_search(self.document.getroot(),self.document.getroot())
File “laser.py”, line 2865, in recursive_search
recursive_search(i,i)
File “laser.py”, line 2867, in recursive_search
points = self.get_orientation_points(i)
File “laser.py”, line 2907, in get_orientation_points
r = re.match(r’(?i)\s*(\s*(-?\s*\d*(?:,|.)\d)\s*;\s*(-?\s*\d*(?:,|.)\d)\s*;\s*(-?\s*\d*(?:,|.)\d)\s*)\s*',node.text)
File “/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/re.py”, line 141, in match
return _compile(pattern, flags).match(string)
TypeError: expected string or buffer

In Python, a string is a single-dimensional array of characters. The string index out of range means that the index you are trying to access does not exist. In a string, that means you’re trying to get a character from the string at a given point. If that given point does not exist , then you will be trying to get a character that is not inside of the string. Indexes in Python programming start at 0. This means that the maximum index for any string will always be length-1. There are several ways to account for this. Knowing the length of your string (using len() function)could certainly help you to avoid going over the index.

I am facing the same problem. Please give some solution to us. Thanks in advance

My CC Pay