Inkscape vs Illustrator?

I’ve been getting the hang of Inkscape recently, but just started messing with an old version of Illustrator today. I’m curious, if any of you have used both, which version do you prefer to use when designing projects to carve, and why. I’m too new to vector design to really have an opinion yet, and would like to hear what others have to say.

EDIT: Any other stuff worth looking into?

Inkscape is great, esp. for being opensource and free. Another excellent opensource option (if you’re using Linux or Mac OS X) is Cenon.app Other opensource apps listed at: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable

Illustrator is workable, but I don’t much like the user interface (and haven’t since starting to use v3.2 on my NeXT Cube).

The new vector design kid on the block is Affinity Designer, which has been consciously modeled on Freehand.

List of commercial apps here: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable

2 Likes

Thanks @WillAdams That’s some good info.

I’ll have to have a look at the stuff you’ve linked. So far I am finding InkScape much more intuitive, but I am using a very old version of Illustrator to be fair. The learning curve ain’t exactly mild for either of them. It’s coming along though.

After nearly a full day in Illustrator, All I have to show for it is a butterfly. Could have probably knocked it out much faster in Inkscape, but hey…it’s a learning experience.

@bradT check your Easel account for a nice surprise that relates to your post. If you already have it open then hit refresh.

1 Like

That’s super top secret. We haven’t released it yet. Please delete your post :slight_smile:

oops…sorry! Still very excited though!

1 Like

Try double clicking…also look up next to the star.

Oh wow. It just keeps getting better. Thanks for letting me in on the secret. Now I’m afraid to refresh :slight_smile:

I want the secret power too :confused:

@ErwinRied secret power granted…

1 Like

Woah! so cool! with some kind of control of the length/position it would instantly replace any complex software for most of the tasks.

1 Like

@Zach_Kaplan

Zack, When will this secret power of which you speak be released to the masses?

I’m hoping soon they are working on putting a bow on it. We have to do more testing these days :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re such a tease… :slight_smile:

I don’t know @NAM37 maybe I’m just looking for curious people. Check out your Easel account.

2 Likes

Dang and I thought my question would be good enough for a sneak peek :frowning:

@GlennMDutcher login and look harder :slight_smile:

Haha! I know that feeling.

Glad to see some other people are getting to see it too. This secret is just too heavy for one man to bear alone. :grinning:

Thanks Zach,

This is a very nice upgrade to Easel, it will make things easier for sure :thumbsup:

After the ‘big’ build of the xcarve I need all the help I can get on this side of things of what programs to use for designing- can I have a sneak preview!