Installing Universal GCode Sender (UGS)

Been wrestling with connection problems with Easel for a while now. Easel seems to run fine as long as one is not attempting to import gcode, then it bugs out and claims connection problems…

So, had enough and finally decided to up to UGS… downloaded UGS… found out I needed Java… found out the browser I was using would not download Java… downloaded and installed FireFox… downloaded and installed Java… ran UGS install… AND>>>

UGS Window comes up, but it is stopping during install without giving reason (the black .bat file window is still open. I have attempted multiple times with set for COM 3 (the only COM available) and all the baud rates. When I attempt to move axis it give error stating that “GBRL has not finished booting”

I do not know what it is looking for or what I can do to get it to finish installing.

Using Windows 10 (new machine) and above.

=======
Below is copy of the .bat window where it stops.

C:\Users\Username\Downloads\UniversalGcodeSender-v1.0.9>java -jar -Xmx256m UniversalGcodeSender.jar
Jul 31, 2016 12:57:18 PM com.willwinder.universalgcodesender.utils.SettingsFactory loadSettings
INFO: Loading settings.
Jul 31, 2016 12:57:18 PM com.willwinder.universalgcodesender.utils.SettingsFactory loadSettings
INFO: Settings file location: C:\Users\Username\UniversalGcodeSender.json
Jul 31, 2016 12:57:19 PM com.willwinder.universalgcodesender.model.GUIBackend applySettings
INFO: Applying settings.
Jul 31, 2016 12:57:19 PM com.willwinder.universalgcodesender.model.GUIBackend addControllerListener
INFO: Adding controller listener.
Jul 31, 2016 12:57:19 PM com.willwinder.universalgcodesender.model.GUIBackend addControlStateListener
INFO: Adding control state listener.
Jul 31, 2016 12:57:38 PM com.willwinder.universalgcodesender.model.GUIBackend connect
INFO: Connecting to GRBL on port COM3
Jul 31, 2016 12:57:38 PM com.willwinder.universalgcodesender.model.GUIBackend sendControlStateEvent
INFO: Sending control state change.
Jul 31, 2016 12:57:38 PM com.willwinder.universalgcodesender.model.GUIBackend getFile
INFO: Getting gcode file.
Jul 31, 2016 12:57:38 PM com.willwinder.universalgcodesender.model.GUIBackend getControlState
INFO: Getting control state.
Jul 31, 2016 12:57:38 PM com.willwinder.universalgcodesender.model.GUIBackend getFile
INFO: Getting gcode file.
Jul 31, 2016 1:13:36 PM com.willwinder.universalgcodesender.model.GUIBackend adjustManualLocation
INFO: Adjusting manual location.
Jul 31, 2016 1:13:36 PM com.willwinder.universalgcodesender.model.GUIBackend sendGcodeCommand
INFO: Sending gcode command: G21 G91 G0 X-1

Which version of UGS are you using?

The correct baud rate is 115200

Right now, the nightly builds are failing…once that changes I would start using version 2.0, I had much better success with that.

The nightly build is on this page: GitHub - winder/Universal-G-Code-Sender: A cross-platform G-Code sender for GRBL, Smoothieware, TinyG and G2core.

about halfway down.

I don’t know what you are telling me.

To my knowledge this a stable build, not a nightly. Top of the page Download - UGS

However, tried 115200 baud and is now working. Thought I started with that one as I remembered a post here stating to use the fasted baud available. Must have gone cross-eyed.

Thank you for your help.
-sterling

1 Like

You are using the latest stable build, v1.09.

I had much better success with version 2.0 the nightly build. It has substantial improvements over v1.09, the problem is, the current version is not stable, but in a day or so it will be (or at least it has not been failing for more then a day or two before).

Keep any eye out for the v2.0 when it is successful and switch to that. It really works much better.

I will

New issue - I am not seeing an Icon for UGS. Do I just pin the start.bat?

You can use the bat file or the jar file, I always used just the jar file. Either will work.

after you install the UGS 2.0 nightly build jar file and drag and drop to desk top whats next ? File dosnt do anything for me