IOT Relay Control with X-Controller

I hooked up an IOT relay to my new X-Controller. I can’t get it to work. So far I’ve only tested it in Easel. I tried connecting to both Spindle (PWM)/GND and Spindle (0-10V)/GND. I tested the continuity on the relay control plug to the X-Controller plug. That test is OK. In a little while I’m going to see if I get any voltage output from either X-Controller connector. What is the voltage from the PWM? Which does Easel output to, PWM or 10V?

Do I have to add any additional gcode to automate either UGS or PicSender? I just bought a copy of Vcarve Desktop, so that’ll be my primary gcode generator.

1 Like

Editted - Misunderstood which relay was being used.

Not sure how to test the voltage. Right now I have the X-Controller plug at the PWM/GND then plugged into the IOT port. The IOT is turned ON with the Dewalt 611 connected to the NORMALLY OFF plug. Can I test for voltage at the IOT control after the SPINDLE command is sent by Easel?

Just to be thorough, is the power switch on the DeWalt turned on?

Also, check to make sure that you are asking for a high spindle speed. S15000 should cover most of the grbl versions for the X-carve.

I have the spindle in Easel to automatic. If I move the 611 plug in the IOT from ‘normally OFF’ to ‘normally ON’ the 611 powers up. The switches on both the 611 and the IOT are on.

Go into the machine inspector of Easel and enter the G-code command

to turn the spindle on
M3 S15000

to turn it off

The switch active LED is not lit so the relay doesn’t know it’s supposed to turn on.

The LED wasn’t on because I didn’t have my power strip powered up.

I used PicSender and sent the M3 command. Nothing happened. I’m wondering if my X-Controller has a problem. Neither of the two green power LEDs (front and back) have ever lit. I saw the rear one flicker once, but that’s all. After I took it apart and re-assembled it, the PROBE worked. I never did find any error or physical problem.

Some of the internal connectors are hard to get seated properly.

Check your ribbon cables. They are keyed and should match the instructions image and additionally make sure they are fully seated. They take a decent bit of force or at least mine did.

Great. I hadn’t thought of that!

This will be the 2nd time I take it apart :cry: The ribbon connectors are a bit tight, but the cable locks slip over OK. Other than cables, there’s not much electronics to assemble. I’ve been known to be a bit ham-fisted, so I’m trying to be careful.

Are there any other things to check except the ribbon cables and the ‘Power Supply Interface PCB’?

If you look at the connector on the board where the key is (the slot) you’ll visually see when the ribbon cable is fully seated. Also, make sure that the colored side matches to the pictures. The cable from the main driver board and the power supply PCB is keyed differently and the sides are not interchangeable. Here are pictures of the ribbons in my XController.

I made sure that all keys were correct and the cable locks did snap onto the cable connectors. It does bother me that even though the machine carves correctly, neither green power LEDs light.

So the ribbon cables just provide accessory functions (probe, limit switches, pause/resume/abort buttons, etc.). Most of the core functionality is all on the main board (steppers, usb connectivity, etc.) which is powered by the separate wires and not the ribbon cable. Good or bad, the Xcarve can operate even with a problem with the ribbons.

You may want to contact Inventables support or even post pictures of your ribbon connectors just to get other sets of eyes on them.

If you look at picture 2 and 3 that I posted, you can see how the slot on the cable itself is fully seated because it is at the bottom of the opening for it. The cable lock slides will engage even before the cable is fully seated.

That’s what I needed to know. I don’t think my cables are seated as deep as yours. That would explain why PROBE was flakey.

Personally, I took the “pinch” approach and applied pressure from the top to seat the cable and pressure from the bottom to keep the board from being damaged. You could consider the bottom to be more stabilizing (countering the downward pressure) than actively pushing up. All 4 cable ends were a PITA to seat.

SUCCESS :smiley:

It was the ribbon cables. The cable locks closed, but I was still able to push the cables in a little bit further. Solved all the problems. Even my green power LEDs are now lit.

Thanks everyone for your help. It probably would have taken me quite a while to spot that problem.

1 Like


It is a component selection issue. The plug and socket are not matched. You should not be able to close the retainers unless the plug is fully seated in the socket.

The retainers are automatically closed as you insert the ribbon cable. The clips fold upwards as the ribbon connector is inserted into the socket as they should. It gives the appearance of locking but there is still play in the clips. Once you fully seat, the play goes away. For mine, there was no indication of fully seating (i.e. a locking “click”) but, from experience, I knew to verify full seat of the cable.

At the very least, the instructions should be modified to show what full seat looks like and indicate that the retainer clips being upright is not enough for a full seat. This has been a pretty common problem here recently with new people assembling the Xcontroller.