Is my Elaire collet breaking my bits?

I agree, it looks like the collet was damaged and can no longer hold the bit properly.
I had the same thing happen to one of mine. (After that I ordered 2 replacements so I always have a spare. Just in case)

1 Like

You can! Water cooled spindle. Would love to see what you can do with that.

Or you can go with a Makita rt0701(lower priced,slower speed setting, quieter and lighter weight). Then there is the Hitachi 12vc (lower speeds, quieter,bigger bits, more power).

1 Like

Why not the water cooled option? Much finer control and makes metal milling go smoother.

With your “Z” system and especially the monster stepper motor your using, the Hitachi should work out good for you. they are available on E-Bay for around $120.00 for a complete setup.

1 Like

Cost versus horse power.

for the good of the class, this is the broke bit tip color

Last night I re-ran the job. 50ipm, .05 dpp , #1 setting on Dewalt. Just to be overly safe, 2 times throughout the 1hr carve, I hit the PAUSE button and turned off the spindle and let it cool for a minute, then turned it back on and continued the job.

It completed! and the current bit doesn’t look like this photo. New collet is also on the way since that needs replacement.

Thanks for the help getting things dialed in

1 Like

I do not know if this Dutch expression made it to the US but we call it:

As dull as the back of a pig

1 Like