It's Alive

All of those were cut with 1/8’ masonite/hardboard. The thickness of the material just needs to be the same size as the slots that join the parts together. So they can be resized up to thicker material, but they can get huge if you go too big. They are a fun project and are fairly easy to cut.

Awesome thanks.

Now that’s left is to justify the purchase with payback :thinking:

1 Like

I make holders almost exactly like those… What I do is wait until my coasters are finished and then stack them so I know how long to cut the supports. I usually add 1/16 or 1/8" of an inch so they aren’t packed in there like sardines.

1 Like

Hi
Could you give me a url or link where I could see more detail on how you did this?
Please advise,
Thanks
Martin Gutzmer
mrgutzmer@gmail.com

wow Erik
What kind of machine do you use

Just your basic modified X-Carve :slight_smile:

Hello Erik

Firstly, I have to confess I’m nothing whatsoever to do with the wood carving community, although looking at your work I wish I was ! I’m a retired teacher from Birmingham,UK and I’ve taken to electronics to keep me out trouble with the Senior Manager I married.

I have a small milling machine, linked to Mach3 which I use to make PCB’s and I’ve been trying for the past couple of months to make a Jog Control for it without much success.

I was impressed to see that you have done this in a number of guises, and even more impressed that at one point you threatened to post your Arduino Code.

Is there any chance of a copy of that code so that I can see where I’m going wrong please … ??

Merry Christmas
Stuart

1 Like

I will dig up the code and post the relevant portions to make it talk to mach3 (I will do it after Christmas as I have a house full for a few days :slight_smile: ). There was only bits of information online that pointed me in the right direction, the Arduino code is only half of the solution. The configuring of Mach3 is also essential to make this work right (creation of brain files). I used the Mach3 modbus protocol for communication between the Arduino and Mach3. I posted some info that may get you started in the Mach3 forum (no code, just info) it is here:

http://forum.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,33265.20.html

Again, give me a few days and I will post it.

Merry Christmas!

Hi Erik

Thanks for your prompt response … … … … .

Listen I’ve been trying get this right for more than a couple of months or so … … … ’ a few days’ or whatever is not a problem. If I run out of patience, I’ll ask the Dr, he’s always got some to spare !

Yes, I know about the Modbus protocol and the configuration and your link will help me get a better handle on that too … … …

Many thanks and enjoy your Christmas … … … … .

S

Erik,

I am interested in your Arduino Due code for the pendant you made to interface with UGS. Do you still have that somewhere? I am working on a pendant myself and it would be great to have something to build from.

Merry Christmas!!

Erik,

This is what I have come up with so far over the holidays. The Pendant I have decided to run off of an old Arcade Controller I had (basically a keyboard encoder). It was cut on my home made CNC with a 1/8th inch 10 degree V Bit out of Inventables 2 color acrylic. The second picture is the Due and screw shield I would like to use with the enclosure. This will be more like a console for more commands than the pendant will give. I’m also looking at some kind of a display in it to show the actual position of each of the Axis.

So while I am not using the Due for the pendant I could use some guidance on the Due code to get started on the console. I understand Arduino code and am pretty good at modifying others code but not so good at starting from scratch.

Thanks for your time.

That looks good. I still have not had a chance to find the source code, but for the interaction with UGS, I simply emulated a keyboard and sent the commands directly to the command input on UGS…I will find the code, but it was very basic for this one…keyboard emulation only…each button sent a string to the text box on UGS.

Ok thanks. I have looked at some basic keyboard code. I’ll have a shot at it.

Nice work ! Can you share an schedule of those tall plates ?

Here is a post where I posted the dxf files for the endplates:

@Stuart

Here is the Arduino Due ino file. I tend to do overkill with the comments as I usually work on lots of projects and need the notes to jog my memory when I come back to them…I use a wide monitor and the comments tend to fill the screen :slight_smile:

I hope this helps you get talking with Mach3…I also included the brain files and a macro file for my pendant, the brain files need to be edited/viewed through Mach3.

I haven’t looked at the code in quite a while, but I can probably answer questions.

Pendant-Testing.ino (54.5 KB)

PendantButtons1.brn (9.2 KB)
PendantButtons3.brn (6.0 KB)
PendantButtons2.brn (9.2 KB)
M1000.m1s (1.9 KB)

1 Like

@ Erik

Good Morning & HNY … … .

Thank you very much for posting the Code and the Brain files … … … that’s quite a project !

I spent much of my free time over the holiday getting myself ‘nearly comfortable’ with Mach3 brains and I now need to spend some time applying your data to my system.

I’ll try to keep the questions to a sensible level and I’ll post the results of my endeavours in due course.

Thanks again

S

1 Like

Hello. Can you publish your Arduino code and brain editor settings? Loved your work. I want to repeat your Remote Control.

What size are these Christmas plaques? Thanks

I just checked the file, they are 6.75" x 4.75". cut in 1/4" corian.