Its all gone pear shaped ! GRBL 1.1g

Ah ok , that would explain that ! as I am front left Z up :+1: How would I change the table dimensions on the visualiser ? the grbl settings seem about right with $130= 750 $131=750 & $132=100 I am sure if showed the full sized table & spindle bott left even before a file was loaded , but I may be mistaken there ! Just wonder if that would have any bearing on the carve triggering the far left soft limits ? eg should that still be ok even though it is actually negative 750 750 &100 max travel? my home & return to zero are both set to bott left !

Im working Aspire > UGS Brandon due to lack of internet ! I can teather & probably get back into Easel , but signal is intermittent to say the least ! is going back into Easel going to give any different results than UGS ? eg .

Cheers for that Seth Ill be able to go over that tomorrow :+1:

You don’t have soft limits ($20) enabled.

I don’t think that grid represents anything until you load a file. I haven’t used UGS in a few years. If your $130s are set correctly, you should be fine. Without soft limits enabled, you could drive the machine left and crash for days if you want.

1 Like

Cheers again Neil … Ill change a couple of things tomorrow $3-7 change to $3=3 , $20=0 change to $20=1 Im happy enough with $130s but ill probably do a calibration when Im there ! Still not sure why the carve was all over the shop , I wouldnt have thought these settings should alter anything really …unless $3 might be the problem ! I did notice in seths post for easels default $21 = 0 mine is $21=1 …hard limits .

$3 is the directions for movement, so if whatever yours is set to works correctly, then I would leave that how it is, or else stuff will be driving in the wrong directions again. Re:$21 and $20, yes you’ll want to change those to the defaults. Also $130 and $131 set to 790 will give you the real max work area, so I’d change yours to that number too…

Regarding your photos of the grid size in UGS, the reference size prior to loading a file is really just there for reference it’s actually irrelevant in reality and does not limit where you can drive the spindle too, what you see there for a grid is not your limits, it’s just a guide for homing and setting work zero.

Load your file and the grid will expand per the file requirements.

It will allow you to drive outside the grid without any errors as seen here :slight_smile:

Regarding showing Negatives, this i becuse you have not clicked the “reset zero” button, you will need to position the spindle to whereever your datum is set to 0,0 and then click that reset zero button (typically the front left top in Easel, but can vary depending on how you choose to design…)

I actually don’t love UGS and this single button to set x,y,z zeros is one of the main reasons.
In OpenBuilds Control, you can actually set X, Y, and Z independent of each other, using 3 separate buttons OR select one button to set all 3 at once, if you prefer… (and yes I am running this carve right now)

BUT NOW that you’re getting the hang of UGS I would NOT switch over to OpenBuilds Control unless UGS is continuing to give you issues… :+1:
(Shameless plug warning) But if you want to see how I use this independent zeroing feature I show them in my Flag Tutorial Video :slight_smile:

I think he’s set his zero. The negatives are all MACHINE coordinates. Your screenshots show those negatives as well.
I don’t use UGS, but isn’t this what it looks like when you Zero at the front left of the X-Carve, assuming a 1mm pulloff on homing?

2 Likes

In my opinion and if you continue to have issues, connecting the computer running the X-Carve to the internet and firing up Easel would be the easiest way to get the X-Carve back to the stock configuration with respect to GRBL settings. You would just have to go back through the machine setup process pretty much. But, that is my opinion…

{:0)

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

Oh yes, you’re right the spindle also will not appear until set zero is hit… so your definitely correct, he must have zeroed… I did a quick test (i haven’t used UGS in about 2 years) and the negative numbers are the prozimity to hitting the soft limits. If that negative number hits 0 then it has reached the X Right or the Y Top, Or Z top soft limit.
& Yes, exactly right about the 1mm pull off effect

2 Likes

Have been trying again today , I went into setup wizard …wasnt getting anywhere . went back & did $ RST=$ to restore grbls …had to change a couple of things eg $130s etc.

$130=790 $131=790 132=100 back into setup wizard to try & configure … no luck when it came to soft limits .Back out & did $20=0 soft limits started carving but got error alarm 2 ,Changed $21=0 & it started the carve although it was hitting the limit switches . So Ive still got someting wrong somewhere ! Homed the settings show .

X 0.000

Y 0.000

Z 0.000

And furthest away points ( top right & z down ) show

X 788.000

Y 788.000

Z 0.000

Problem with Z ?
On trying to set up soft limits in setup wizard (jogging spindle to far limits Z is showing -1.00 fully down ! (please note the - negatives )
, I did try tethering with the phone & going into easel but the signal at the workshop is far too erratic to say the least & I am happy with Aspire/ugs
Thanks for sticking with me on this !!!

Really? Can you get a screenshot?

Can you share the gcode?

If your design is in Quadrant I (with respect to math) and your limit switches are at the top of the Z, and front left corner for X & Y, then you should look at $3 to invert the direction of those axes that are moving in the wrong direction.

Brandon Parker

That’s it homed Neil

Started doing strange thing again ! cutting off again when usg loaded up , no file opened & went into machine setup > setup wizard wizard jogging right (X+) it just stopped at 364mm No alarms or anything ,just locked up , as if it had hit a soft limit ? :man_shrugging:

Carving would be in quadrant 3 Brandon . Homed bott left , & showing as above .

I typically view things from Easel’s perspective and how everything is displayed to the user…

Typically with a stock X-Carve operating per stock settings, most people carve in Quadrant I with respect to Easel from a designer’s perspective regardless of what the internal settings are in GRBL for translating the world accordingly or what UGS is displaying.

Capture

It is extremely easy to get confused when you start trying to translate what the normal GRBL setup is like vs. the translated setup that most X-Carve’s are set up for. I think it is easier to think of it this way and leave the translating to the firmware.

You should load a file into UGS to see which Quadrant UGS places the design into.

This is why I would just use Easel to set everything back to stock before messing with UGS.

Also, because you keep having intermittent issues with the machine moving in the wrong direction and stopping intermittently I would power the machine down completely and check all connections. Remove all the laser stuff that you might have added. Get the machine back to the original physical layout & settings and go from there.

Brandon Parker

How would I go about totally uninstalling & reinstalling the X-controller ? I got fed up of getting nowhere trying to connect to easel from the workshop , terrible internet that is just through tethering with the phone !!!& also I had a problem with the laptop just freezing which would probably account for stopping mid carve with no error codes ! hopefully fixed now :crossed_fingers: So I now have an X-carve in the livingroom at home :grimacing: needless to say that has went down like a lead balloon :laughing: but god forbid I turn it on here :neutral_face: its here nonetheless & Ive got internet … I have stripped off laser stuff etc & have tried changing grbls & then tried to get a total uninstall so I could set up from scratch but easel just keeps saying "you have a machine installed " I have not got pro & am quite happy with my aspire ugs set up due to lack of internet at the workshop !!! I have tried reflashing But kinda unsure if that has worked as I will need to try running it , but just when I have the machine here I would like to know how I go about uninstall - re install ? mostly for setting up the z-probe again ! When trying to set up the laser from j-tech I was given a good few things/codes to try & I am unsure if this has mucked up the X-controller … A thing I have noticed is that every time I home the thing I keep getting reset zero flashing . I never had that before !

Well for some reason things seem good now ! Might have been laptop freezing , uninstalling laser , reflashing etc etc. :man_shrugging: anyways I will get it up to the workshop & see . Thanks to everyone for trying to help out :+1: hopefully thats it sorted :crossed_fingers: Makes a huge difference just having youze offering advice & taking the time to help . It is massively appreciated .Thanks . Ps. I might be back again :laughing:

Where, on your machine, are you setting work zero?
How thick is your stock?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.