It's Still Alive!

Another bamboo cutting board…I added a very light coating of mineral oil.

8 Likes

Nice. Cook up some T-Virus on that one

1 Like

It is great, nice crisp clean lines.

And still another…the shine in the etch will go away when the oil is absorbed…

3 Likes
1 Like

Today I removed the standard invetables Nema 23 motors from my X-Carve and replaced them. I went from the 140oz/in motors to 269oz/in. I kept the same size at Nema23.

I also replaced the belts and put on 9mm GT2 belting, so new pulleys, idlers and spacers as well.

I reconfigured Mach3 and cranked up the velocity settings and ran a quick test, I set the rapid moves to 500 Inches Per Minute and cruised around the wastboard much faster then thing has gone before. 500 IPM rapids was smooth, no hesitation at all, just cruised. I could probably go faster, but not sure why :slight_smile:

Once I clean up my mess and reroute wires I will take a video.

3 Likes

Right now, it moves very well, I will push it this weekend and see what it can do. I will do a few relief carves with nice shiny new bits and see if I can do nice deep roughing passes at 200+ IPM.

3 Likes

I am rerunning all of the wires as well, the limit/homing switch wiring is being run in the channel on the lower makerslides on my Y-Axis rails. I 3D printed clips to keep wires secured in the slot, I am also printing a new drag chain with links that open.

I have to clean up the wires to the laser as well (time to get organized), it currently has 2 power cords, one for the laser driver and one for the PicConvert (PWM controller for Mach3) board and the cable going to my controller box. I want to drop one and power both from the same power supply and run the wiring through the new drag chain with quick disconnects.

2 Likes

I seem to have a lot of spare parts now…5 motors, 2 arduinos with g-shields, tons of extrusions…belting, pulleys, idlers…I should build something maybe a big beefy 3D printer?

2 Likes

I forgot to post this pic earlier…here is the new motor and pulley sitting next to the original motor and pulley. (new one on the right)

4 Likes

I don’t want another machine in the shop :slight_smile:

The next one I add is a new jointer…

1 Like

Ha! I just got myself a new to me Jointer! Great minds think a like I guess! Those are some behemoth steppers, I’m a bit jealous, you’ll have to post a video!

Needs a little TLC, but it will do.

3 Likes

That is a nice solid looking jointer! I am still shopping around now, I have a huge pile of rough cut oak that I have had for about 15 years that I want to start using more of.

I’ll get things rewired and post a video of the movement on the X-Carve. I didn’t get as much done today as I wanted, so more tomorrow. I am still printing the new drag chain, but is is coming along :slight_smile:

2 Likes

750 inches per minute is fast on the x-carve :slight_smile:

1 Like

All new motors, belts and pulleys are now installed. I set Mach3 to 1000 IPM for a test. I was a big chicken when it started moving, but it did go 1000 IPM nice and smoothly in the X and Y axis… But that is just way too fast for a 1000 x 1000 X-carve. Very cool it can go that fast. I will set up a g-code tonight and video the machine running at those speeds tomorrow.

I using Mach 3 to and would appreciate it if you would post your motor settings so I can have a comparision guide for my initial set-up. Thank you.

I actually stopped it three times before I let it get to 1000 IPM… it was flying.

@Clyde - What controller are you using? I will post my settings, but unless yours is similar it won’t do you much good.

I am running the Gecko G540 and a G251 with the Ethernet Smoothstepper.

Mine is called the “Dream Machine”, Its a high end china Mach 3 controller. What I’m after is an idea on your velocity, steps and speed. I know I will have to figure mine out as it won’t be the same as yours but I’m looking for just a ball park idea on what will work on a !000 X-Carve.

X and Y are the same…I dropped it down to 500IPM…