I've Been Making Hotscakes

Here’s Mrs. Douglas, of Green Acres, making “hotscakes”. If you don’t want to watch the whole scene, skip to 2:24 and watch how she makes the hotcakes.

Vectric has a wealth of free projects for download on their website, beautiful stuff. Recently I made “Cool Cubes”:
http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/projects/2012/cool-cubes.html

… and “Paradise Box”:
http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/projects/2011/paradise-box.html

If you’ll look at the Cool Cubes link, in the picture and behind the three cubes is what it looks like after it’s cut and before you pop the tabs loose. There’s about a half-inch of waste on each side. I made all three cubes and then designed one myself. So, four cubes x 1/2" per side = 24" x 4" waste. By the time I make a few more to give away, I’ll be throwing away a big chunk of board-feet. So I looked at the layout, and I wondered, why does there have to be waste on either side? Why not let the edge of the stock be the edge of the part? And why have waste between parts? Why not cut between two parts so that the tab connects one to the other, rather than to waste?

Same with Paradise Box: each side is cut out of a piece of stock 12" x 7", to produce a finished product measuring 9-3/4" x 5-1/2". Each side has an angle to it, and two identical sides are needed, so I wondered, why not cut the sides butted against each other , angle to angle, and with the edge of the stock being the edge of the side?

For the “cool cubes”, I found that the rabbets that were supposed to mate up for joinery didn’t, and I had to touch them up on my router table, which led me to decide that I would simply CNC the designs in order down a piece of stock, separate the parts on the radial arm saw (my radio alarm saw, as a friend calls it), and then do the rabbets on the router.

All that waste around the parts is like the “head gasket” leftovers from Mrs. Douglas’s hotcakes. I don’t understand. Is there some purpose for having that much waste, some logical reason that I’m missing? I’ve come to the conclusion that the economical thing to do is use the CNC for drawing designs and cutting shapes and meticulous measurements, and do plain old straight cuts on my saw. Why have the CNC make nine trips around the perimiter of a part, taking half an hour or longer, when it can be cut out on a table saw in less than a minute?

1 Like

I can think of a couple of reasons:
1 If you don’t have a table saw.
2 So the project is completed on one machine.
3 If you don’t place the material exactly square on the CNC when you cut it out on the table saw the pattern will be crooked.

My usual method on things like this is to have Xcarve (my grand daughter calls it “the robot spider”) cut half way through the stock (unless it is thin, thin being subjective depending on how I feel at the time) cut it out on the band saw and then use a flush trim router bit to clean it up.

I think the extra space between parts may be so you can anchor the material to the bed or something like that.

Just my 2 cents worth. Maybe only worth 1, I’m feeling kind of dumb today :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks, Lewis. After a little experimenting I’m finding that I need 0.5" on any side where I’ll use a clamp. For between the parts, I tried scooting them together, but Aspire didn’t like that. Wouldn’t display the cut in the preview when I overlapped it. Oh, well. I like the band saw suggestion, but I’ll want it to be worth my time to make a template for the flush trim bit (make more than one, in other words).

I’m finally getting daily activity on my CNC, and hoping to become proficient with Aspire before long.

Hey, I had to remember it in order to go looking for it in YouTube videos. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You use the half that the CNC cut as your template. Run the bearing on that part to trim up the rest.