J Tech Laser and the X Controller

If I understand him, $1200 has to the pwm. U still adjust the laser with m0 code

My bad, I meant M0. What is the max value of M0 to full intensity of the beam? I thought it was M0 S1800, however I can keep increasing this value to increase the beam intensity. Just trying to figure out what to plug in when I want max.

Edit: Looking at the Jtech site, it looks like the range is between 0 and 10000. Perhaps when I put a higher value in it rolled it over which cause my confusion. Will test out 10k tomorrow to see if that gives me max beam intensity.

The command is M03 S##### You could use M03 S0 or M05 to turn off laser. 12000 I think was the top speed for the 24V spindle and I think actually I think the laser max value for the laser is 10000 and 12000 won’t make it any brighter.

ChadLanthier are using the 24V Spindle or the Dewalt?

Here is some info from another post

The max rpm you set, sets the rpm you want the PWM to be maxed out. It’s arbitrary.

You could set it to 123rpm. If you later issue an M3 S123 you’ll get max duty cycle on the PWM. If you issue M3 S345000 you’ll still get max duty cycle.

So set it to something more sensible, say 10000. Send M3 S10000 and you’ll get max duty on your spindle (regardless of actual rpm capability) and max power on laser. Send M3 S5000 and you’ll get 50% duty cycle etc.

For a laser, once you’ve done that, you’ll slowly want to issue M3 commands to bring the power up to the point the diode starts showing, but not burning. Make a note of that and use that to give you a focusing spot in the future.

If you set your max rpm to 10000, start at M3 S500 and increase by a 100 until you can see it with your safety glasses on.

Cheers

Ian

I’m using Dewalt router

Then no need to worry both will work fine.

So could you set $30=255 to get a duty cycle range between 0 and 255, where 255 is max using M3 S255? If so, doesn’t that provide some of the same benefit as the jtech version of grbl?

That’s my understanding of it anyway. You can set it to whatever you like and you’ll get a linear response on PWM between 0 and whatever you set max to.

The JTech grbl is different however, it allows S changes while in motion without dwelling, Inventables version dwells on S changes which makes doing raster images pretty much impossible.

1 Like

Thanks Ian. You are correct. I verified that you get a linear response once you set max.

For the dwelling problem, do you know if its possible to install the Jtech grbl on the Controller? I guess I could hook up my old controller and swap back in forth, but that would not be my first choice. Thanks again for any help. I’m learning as I go, so appreciate all the help.

I’m waiting until Jtech receives their Xcontroller and gives it a whirl.

do i need a separate arduino for the laser?

Nope. The Jtech just wants power from its supply & the PWM signal from your Existing Arduino Uno that runs the X-Carve. I set up a switch bow so I just flip from LASER to SPINDLE & it sends the PWM to either Straight to the JTech laser controller or to the Motor Speed controller.

Ty Hoeffer
Palmyra, VA

do you have a photo of this by chance? im new to this and have not the slightest idea.

Do you think switching the PWM signal was necessary? Alternatively, you could have just switched power to one or the other and let the PWM run to both devices’ inputs.

You could. I just felt it would be cleaner to be able to flip a switch & that would disable the other device while enabling the one I wanted.

Plus I figured that having both being a “load” on the PWM output might cause issues on signal quality.

I am interested in seeing what kind of input capacitances the PWM pin can drive reliably.

Has anyone heard an update from J Tech regarding the X-Controller and the J Tech version of GRBL?

What am I missing here as far as wiring goes

Instructions are here: https://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=3565

1 Like