Jtec upgrade was going good until

I’ve been trying to run my laser for a few months now also, downloaded everything as it said and nothing. It is beyond frustrating as everyone using it makes it seem so simple and I am getting to the point of utter annoyance with the fact I can’t figure it out

I finally got the files figured out for mine I had too many copies of too many versions so here are the hex files I am using with no issues at this moment. after switching run machine setup in easel for the inventables hex file

inventables grbl0_9i_X_Carve_500mm_ACME (1).hex (80.3 KB)

jtech grbl.hex (79.1 KB)

and here is xloader XLoader.zip (678.3 KB)

1 Like

I still have Grbl 0.9J on my X-Carve. Would it be safe to install Grbl 0.9G and will it work fine with both Universal G Code Sender and PicSender without jogging from 0.9J & 0.9G with a peace of mind of using both spindle router and laser engrave projects?

I hope that someone can give you a better answer than I could on that. I am using the above files because it has given me no issues. And after doing the switch a few times it only takes me a min or 2 to be up and running versus the days and hours it took fighting with the machine in the past and now after locating my correct files once more I am back on track.

I hope this can help you

1 Like

@ShaneBell thank you for the video. Am mentioned above I have also spent hours trying to figure this out and when I went to run my spindle yesterday and figure out easel won’t recognize it I almost lost it before I just turn the whole thing off and went to my couch haha. Hopefully this video will help me get where I need to be and although the PDF file is somewhat helpful a video is way way easier to follow. Especially if you are clueless to what their talking about with some of the words they use.

Hopefully I can get my machine up And running tomorrow because I have some orders I need to fill.

When you’re talking about the correct folders in the beginning of your video what is it that you’re talking about? So it appears you have 2 different folders… I am assuming one for the laser and one for the spindle…are these just in your desktop? And what do you have in each? I currently have everything on my desktop (pic sender, pic laser, X loader, etc)

How do you go about switching between the two firmwares to jump between the laser and easel?

the folder on my desktop is to store the hex files one for spindle ad one for laser each are in their own folder.
Ok not good at giving instruction but here we go

1. open the file location and choose the hex file you want

2. select your device mine is the stock arduino uno

3. select the com port that the xcarve uses this may already be detected

4. set baude rate to 115200 this may already be set

5. click upload and give it a few seconds the box below it will say XXXXX bytes uploaded if all goes well
    just repete the process to switch back
    When switching back to spindle I do the above then open easel and run machine setup at that point you may have to unplug your usb and plug it back in to be recognized and finish the set up. When all goes well and you get experienced in the machine set up the whole process takes less than 2 minutes.

1 Like

Ok so dumb question, but wouldn’t my spindle and laser have the same com port being their flashing from the same arduino? I have the stock one as well. I’m running a 1000 X 1000 Xcarve and a 2.8 jtech

yes they are the same it’s just there have been a few times the com port was not set when opening xloader so it is just one of the things i double check.

Ok finally got a chance to put your video to the test and I got the laser to flash to pic sender again. now how do or where is the firmware for easel found for the folder?

Also I’m trying to move the Xcarve head within pic sender and it won’t allow me to…is this done by some command I do not know? Or should I be using some secondary software to move the head?

Did you backup your X-Carve grbl settings in the GRBL menu?

Use the Do Cmd. and type in $14=1 then click the button to change that grbl setting. Then you will be able to jog.

1 Like

If you did not save your inventables hex (firmware) you will need to locate and download it to the computer and reflash it to the grbl you will know that you have the correct one if easel will allow you to go through the machine set up. This is the one that works for me https://discuss-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/40663d609f18fdba06c469750eeb57c24e8ffb37a574.hex

1 Like

so it still gives me an error even after I ran the $14=1 command in the do. comd. box

You have to input a X&Y position and a feedrate for it to move. Set the S at 0. Select the Include M05 also.

There is a Tutorial in the Info button, bottom right on the screen.

1 Like

Perfect I got it working! Now the only thing I have to mess with is the spacing between laser lines… It’s not about 1/8" so have to watch the YouTube video and read up on how to adjust it.

I also got easel working again for the spindle! Thank you so much for your guys help! I am so happy

3 Likes

Alright question in…how do I tighten up the laser this is what I’m working with

The Pixel Resolution sets the step over in the gcode file for the X&Y axis. It should be determined from your laser’s burn line width (focal point) so they lay down next to each other with no gaps between them, or overlapped too much.

Here is a thread I started on another forum that gives some starting place settings for our PicLaser Lite which did not include the image editor that is in PicLaser.

http://forum.darklylabs.com/index.php?p=/discussion/165/photo-engraving-test-image

There is a Tutorial in the PicLaser Help menu that explains how to resize your image for the Pixel Resolution your using. It’s on page 14.

I start with a pixel resolution or step over of .01. But the focus looks good.
If you are working with photos or other similar images use a image editor to resize the image because after you have your resolution or step over set for the most part you will not need to change it well I have not really had a need to change it but thats just me.

Thank you I messed around with the pixels and finally got it to where the lines are touching on each pass!

Now I have another problem and I am not sure if it is something I’m doing incorrectly or wired wrong or what. So running a black and white photo to ensure the laser power is varying from 0 to 255 as I have set in the setting on pic laser the photos is 100% black…any thoughts on what I may have done incorrectly