Just an FYI

I don’t know how many of y’all have experience carving cypress (Bald Cypress in my case) but I figured I’d share my experience with fellow noobs to carving. I have found that using a V bit produces less than desirable results w/out a TON of sanding. Because the wood is very sappy and fiberous, the V bit tends to part grain rather than cut it cleanly. Of course, it’s a little better in raster or pro mode but you still get it. It does however, cut very cleanly using a compression/down cut fluted bit.

No grand enlightenment I’m sharing here, I know but; just figured I’d pass the info along…before I go sand a bunch of loose grain out of my lettering.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I tend to run v-carves twice or three times on stringy wood. It really cleans things up.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks!

What other woods would you call “stringy”?

Maybe there some way to treat the wood to minimize this. I have never tried it and do not have any to test. Its been a while since I can even use my system. :confused: Weather and now I am on night watch and have duties during the day as well. So no time to set up jobs and I never leave my system unattended for more than 15 min at a time.

For me poplar tends to leave stringing or fuzzy finishes, basswood also…pine at times…it all comes down to bit sharpness, grain direction, softness of wood…I usually get more stringing with v-carving…3d carves are usually much cleaner.

1 Like