Keyboard controls for carving

Many of the inputs in Easel are small or are not tab accessible (an issue in itself), and would benefit from having keyboard shortcuts. Here is a list of the keyboard shortcuts I think we need (here is a list of already existing keyboard shortcuts: http://easel.inventables.com/help/keyboard-shortcuts). These should have a keyboard shortcut and/or be tab accessible.

1. Open the carve menu (c)
  2. Advance the carving walkthrough (enter)
  3. Pause / unpause a job (space)
  4. Stop a job (s)
4 Likes

Perfect, now I just need to start on my pendant!

I second this, but Iā€™d rather see the keys be keys on the numeric keypad, so a USB keypad could be plugged in and used in this way.

1 Like

Jogging the machine needs some work I propose.

Jogging X and Y can be done with cursor keys, but Z, the one that is important to get right in many cases, is SHIFT + up/down cursor. Can I propose that this be changed to a single key for Z up and down, e.g. M and K or similar? Itā€™s difficult to jog in the Z while having your face close to the bit to ensure correct height.

Another vote for SPACE to pause, but how about double SPACE as an emergency stop, I.e. Stop all X and Y, stop spindle and raise Z?

Full disclosure, Iā€™m able bodied (except my eye sight) but been interested in this subject for a while following RSI problems. And this has led to wanting software that is intuitive and where possible, keyboard driven.

Cheers

Ian

1 Like

I really like that num-pad idea!

You could have ā€˜Wā€™ and ā€˜Sā€™ as Z up and down, that might make sense to alot of people.

1 Like

Being a laptop user with arrow keys near my bottom right, M / K would be better in my opinion than W / S because I could do XY by feel and use the same hand to do Z up/down. I definitely agree that it should be something that isnā€™t shift.

@MichaelSchafer did you mention that there is a program or something to easily remap usb keypad / numeric keys?

Iā€™m not sure this is really possible with the firmware right now. But I believe there are future Grbl updates that would make this possible (like the recent ā€œsafety doorā€ feature).

Auto Hot key is a very good remapping tool, and itā€™s free! On the NumPad side of things, I think PgUp and PgDn would be a great option for the Z-axis.

P.S. @paulkaplan, how are you getting your text to look like keys when you are calling out keyboard shortcuts?

1 Like

Ah this forum has magic a mile deep. Sorry for not sharing. You can use the tag <kbd>...</kbd> to wrap keyboard descriptions. For example

<kbd>Ctrl + Z</kbd>

becomes Ctrl + Z.

(PS how I did the code formatting: indent 4 spaces then type.)

1 Like

Nice, thanks @paulkaplan!

It wasnā€™t me, but someone in the thread I started about using a USB Keypad as a remote pendant did post something like thatā€¦

iā€™m goign to need this to be the pendant controller please / thx

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-USB-NES-Controller-PC/dp/B002YVD3KM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434062621&sr=8-1&keywords=nintendo+usb+controller

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

might have been me, but iā€™m using UGS and a usb num pad. working pretty well as long as you dont accidentally mix up the buttons and plunge your bit into the working material :frowning: Y and Z control buttons are awfully close together.

Thanks Paul, Iā€™ve not seen the code so donā€™t know the art of the possible.

Also, relying on Numpad excludes pretty much all laptop users. I for instance donā€™t have a Numpad on my laptop. On my main PC, itā€™s to the left, as far from my X-Carve as is possible because I use a left handed keyboard because it allows your mouse to be more central (as a right hander). Thatā€™s historical due to RSI issues.

Basic and important operations need to be single key press on a common key bed, hence QWERTY.

Cheers

Ian

1 Like

Knock yourself out! JoyToKey - Download the Latest Official Version :slight_smile:

1 Like

happy days!