Kid toy's finish

So I have a few kids toys projects and I was wondering what people use as a finish that’s kid friendly. I know some use wood butter (mineral oil mixed with melted bee’s wax) but was not sure. With the toys being ABC blocks, and other toys that could go in their mouths, non-toxic is a big must. Thank you and have a great new year.

Yes, all finishes are safe once cured. If you want to really convince people they’re safe, use shellac. It’s natural and says right on the can that its non-toxic and for use on toys.

1 Like

Shellac…It’s a shell of the bug named LAC. Melted with alcohol, makes alcoholic bug. Do you want your kids to put that to their mouth. :grin:
Just kitting Tom, yes shellac would be the good choice I always use, and any water base paints are good.

1 Like

http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/finishing/articles_497a.shtml

I was trying to be funny but I didn’t think it came off that way so I deleted it.

1 Like

Anyone curious should read the article though. I sell a lot of name puzzles for children. I have tried to explain that the finishes are safe once cured, but it just became easier to just use shellac and show the picture on the can of how it’s safe for toys.

I use a bee wax mineral oil mix. Safe for kids and makes the toys smell like honey for a bit. Put it on thick and stick it in an oven preheated to 200. Melts into the wood. Makes it last longer in my mind, probably doesn’t but as long as I’m happy.

1 Like

My suggestion would be to use Salad Bowl Finish as an overall top coat. It’s made for wooden utensils, bowls, plates, cutting boards and the like. You can also use some milk paints. Just check that the manufacturer says its OK. Those are what I’ve used in the past for kids toys - milk paint for color and salad bowl finish for a protective top coat. I disagree with the user who commented that all finishes are safe when cured. That’s not true. Most finishes aren’t intended to be chewed on by a child.

Just my two cents. Hope that helps.

1 Like

lac means thousands of bugs

I have researched into this topic 3 different times. All 3 times i have come back with the following. Poly is “safe” after a 30 day cure since its basically liquid plastic; my thought is why would i want a kid eating plastic. Shellac is just bug shells mixed with ethyl so once dried it become “safe” but really should allow for a cure time of 30 days. this brings up the mineral oil mixed with bee’s wax, as stated not that durable and to be honest i hate the fact that they always feel tacky to me. I had never thought of cooking the wax on as stated by @RyanBuitenwerf. I was just wondering if there was some magical/unknown finishing process that i was unaware of. Thank you all for the comments, my main concern was i make ABC blocks for kids that I sell and I cant have them cure for 30 days before I sell them. In my mind that’s just a waste of shelf space!!