KTM Hand Guard clamp

I lost a clamp on my hand guard on my dirt bike last summer. I decided it was time to replace the zip tie I was using to hold it on. This is my first project from design, to cam, to g-code and then carving in easel.

Everything turned out good. The finish was a little rough, but 2 minutes with a file smoothed it right out. I used an old plastic (UMHW maybe?) cutting board I had bought for another project. This really got my juices flowing. I used Fusion 360 to design the part along with the cam. I post processed it and then imported the g-code into easel.

John Saunders from NYC CNC on youtube was a big help on this project for me. I watched a ton of his videos and he does a great job of explaining F360. I would definitely recommend watching his videos for anyone interested in F360 or machining in general. His videos are easy to watch, quick and to the point. I usually have to watch a few times because he is so quick.

Top is my part cut out, the bottom is the original one from the other side.

Jason

3 Likes

Very nice, it is always good to make something you need.

1 Like

Nice, makes me wish my kid was still racing motocross

1 Like

Thanks Erik! This is part of the reason I bought the x-carve. To make some one off parts and things I don’t want to buy off the shelf. Of course this is $1 part, but for me going from thinking about what I needed, to designing, to carving is the exciting part.

1 Like

Today it is saving you a buck, but in time it can save/make you many more. Off to a damn good start!

1 Like

Thanks Kerry! I think I may be done with motocross. This last season I had a serious get off on a double. Broke a couple ribs and dislocated my thumb. I was very lucky my friend was behind me and stopped on the jump to keep people from jumping on me.

I will only race GNCC from now on I think. That is the plan until MX season gets here this spring and I get the itch again.

Next challenge for you is to use Autodesk 123D Catch to scan and create the part! Anyone looked into that?

I have did some reading about using an old Xbox 360 Kinect to do 3D scans. I tried the Autodesk app that lets you take multiple photos and it generates a 3D model for you but I didn’t have the greatest of luck.

1 Like

Yeah, it says not to use it on shiny object and the only thing I tried to take pictures of was my stainless steel coffee cup in terrible lighting. I’ll give it another shot one of these days. It’ll probably improve as time passes and it would potentially be a great way to replicate objects.

1 Like

Nice. It would be more impressive to have made the splint for the thumb or a rib! Now that would be making something you need! :grinning:

1 Like

Looks great! However… that part screams ‘3D printer’ more then x-carve :smile: IMHO… a cheap (~$300) 3D printer is better at some things then the X-Carve.

I use an XBox 360 Kinect to scan stuff all the time. It works great on people… not so much on things. You would spend more time cleaning up the object after the scan then just making the object from scratch in Fusion 360/Solidcad.

[Gratuitous bobble-head of me i made as a joke for my son who lives out of town]

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve considered a 3D printer but haven’t researched much at all. You can buy one that would print this for around $300?

I may have to look more into that.

Thanks! I wish I would have had my x-carve then. Could have used that time to make some cool things instead of sitting on the couch in pain. Ha.

A couple years ago I dumped taking a bad bounce off kicking up a chunk of stone into my swing arm. Didn’t walk for a year and still limping slightly. I putter around like a granny now. My daredevil days are over.

Completely destroyed my ankle

If you enjoyed building the x-carve… you can find quality ‘full-featured’ kits in the $250 range (200mm x200mm x 180mm build volume, heated bed, auto leveling). These kits will print almost any type of filament… ABS, PLA, PET, Ninjaflex (soft rubber)… etc.

My kit is from a company called Folger Tech (their new 2020 kit is $290).

If you didn’t like building the X-Carve check out the small PrintrBot play ($399) or some of the pre-built Chinese printers (like Monoprice’ s Maker Select 3D Printer $360).

… but there are a ton of great options that won’t break the bank.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I really enjoyed the build so a diy kit is right up my alley. I’ll definitely look into the one you linked.

I’m planning on building my own plasma table at some point. I may use s modified smaller x-carve or shapeoko.

I just figured out how to quote a post on my phone. Ha. I would like to see one from inventables as well.

I’d buy one! :wink:

SLA! SLA! SLA! boo filament

Depends what you want. I went with FDM instead of SLA since you can’t print in all the functional materials I can. I can print in FDA certified PLA, Nylons and PEEK, which for developing medical devices is key. So far we have only used our SLA printer to print molds for medical grade silicone. Yes, the Form1 produces gorgeous (albeit slow and small) prints, but my new FDM can print 30cm^3 at up to 400C, which opens a very wide array of processes. In addition I have not seen dissolvable supports on a SLA printer as of yet, which for some of the blind cavities in devices is key (if you leave a tiny hole you can dissolve out the supports inside)