Laguna Tools Laser Cutter

Here is how the machine arrived

IMG_5964

Here is the machine after I rewired it

IMG_6656

IMG_6657

Of course I also went through the machine and rewired all of the Power, common and ground wires. I do not like seeing Daisy Chained power sources which all of these were. This actually cleaned the wires up quiet a bit. I also verified that all of the connections were snug and tight and cleaned up the wiring from its original installation. In the end, I ended up with a gallon zip lock bag full of wires that were replaced or were trimmed down to remove excess wire that was just cluttering the wire tracks.

I removed the connector for the rotary axis and wired the Y axis straight into the driver. I will be adding another driver for the Rotary (A) axis. The small stepper drivers used in this machine, can be found on Amazon for a mere $25. If you look at the Ruida controller, it has two terminal blocks un-used on the right side. The top one is for a second laser PSU for Dual-Head cutters. The other empty terminal block is designated for the Rotary (A) Axis.

I also relocated the DIN-Rail power plug for the TP-Link and the fast and slow DIN-Rail fuse blocks.

In the Second photo of my rewire, the EMI Filter is not connected. This original EMI filter is not large enough to power the 220v upgraded system. I upgraded this EMI Filter with a larger unit and located it on the floor of the electronics compartment.

I also added all of the grey wire tracks that are seen throughout the unit. I purchased a 6’ raceway and used all 6’ in the machine.

Here is the Most Significant part of the rewire.

IMG_6651

IMG_6652

The 220v power comes in from the Panel on the back of the machine, the metal flexible conduit can be seen at the bottom of the compartment. As can be seen the metal straps keep it firmly fixed in place, these are placed along the length of the conduit. Where the wire comes out of the conduit, I wrapped enough black tape around the cable to keep it firmly in place and extremely snug where it exits the conduit. Heat shrink was applied to help clean up the final product and and keep everything clean and tight.

The Yellow cable is for the TP-Link that I will be replacing since the factory supplied unit was only in Mandarin/Chinese.

This was my first experience using DIN rail and DIN rail Components. I am Sold on them now and will be using them many many many more times in the future.

The first thing on the DIN rail was an endstop. Beside it is the power supply for the TP-Link.

Next are two DIN rail Ground Terminal blocks. This is where the Ground first connects inside of the machine.
amazon.com

ASI ASIUSLKG2.5 Din Rail Mounted Ground Circuit Connection Terminal Block, Screw Clamp (Pack of 50): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

The ASI ASIUSLKG2.5N is a DIN rail mounted screw clamp ground circuit terminal block with the housing molded in the internationally accepted colors of green and yellow to signify that this is a ground …

$83.52
The RED, BLACK and White White are connected to the 3-Pole circuit breaker. This is the MAIN POWER SWITCH. I can lock the compartment and no one can power up the machine without getting to this switch first. Keeps the machine from being used without my knowledge. With all three wires connected to the Circuit Breaker, when the power is switched off, the Common wire is also disconnected from the machine. I did this for protection from Lightning strikes or other electrical spikes being back fed through this wire when the power has been switched off.

I added 2 LED voltage meters, Line 1 and Line 2. At a quick glance I know how much voltage is coming in and the amount of amps being consumed on each line.

Each Power Line also has its own Slow Blow Fuse and a Fast Blow Fuse connected one after the other on each line.

When the Power wires exit both sets of fuses they are connected to the EMI Filter.

IMG_6653

After the EMI Filter, the wires go to DIN Rail mounted Power Distribution Blocks. I absolutely love this method of distributing the power. It is extremely clean and efficient. I need to replace the jumpers on the RED and BLACK blocks, I had misplaced the original jumpers like the one in the WHITE distribution block and I had to use the 2-pole jumpers to link the blocks. I put them somewhere safe so that I would not lose them and then couldn’t find them, I had put them in such a safe place, that I couldn’t even find them. I had to order more from the manufacturer.

For the Ground Blocks I used the same ones as mentioned earlier. These do not link to one another like the others. These actually lock onto the DIN rail making it the grounding bar. I attached the DIN rail to the Ground lug on the power panel that connects to the grounding rod outside the house.

The final 3 blocks of the distribution block is for power activating the SSR-40’s and the cooling fans

IMG_6654

I also added Voltage meter for the stepper driver PSU. This meter was not necessary but for $13, it did not come at a high expense. I also wanted to add a 4th unit for the Laser PSU, however Amazon was sold out at the time so I had to settle for the odd ball unit shown here. In the end, this was actually very beneficial. I connected this unit to the Laser PSU. With this unit I can keep track of the hours that the laser has actually been in use. This will help me with maintenance scheduling and life time of the Laser Tube itself. Blessing in Disguise. lol.

On the end, you can see the ground wire that grounds the DIN rail to the Ground Lug on the rear Power Panel

IMG_6659

IMG_6660

I am very happy with how clean the new wiring came out.

I also reworked the Y-axis Stepper wires and LED light wires and the 24v homing switch. These wires were ran through holes in metal without grommets and some holes even had ragged sharp edges and burrs.

IMG_6649

IMG_6639

As can also be seen, I tried to run the wires connected to the Laser Tube so that they are as far away from the metal cabinet as possible and as clean as possible.

Sorry my 10 year old Mac just died on me while I was typing the above message. First time I have EVER had an issue with it. I can not even get it to power on. It goes through the loading cycle and just gives me a circle with a slash through it.

I will have to come back and reload all of the photos for the above message. Fortunately when I logged into my phone, the typed portion of the message was there.

Guess I have to go to the computer store tomorrow.

I edited the above post and the Photos have now been loaded to it

Another upgrade was the air assist.

When using a CO2 laser, the laser head needs airflow according to what type of action it is performing. Rastering or Cutting

Rastering requires only enough airflow to pressurize the laser head so as no smoke enters into the nozzle smoking the lens.
Cutting requires much more airflow to assist the laser beam while cutting through thicker materials. The thicker the Material the higher the pressure.

The laser comes from factory with just the regulator (and of course it is mounted on the back where ease of access can easily be obstructed). This means that the air flow has to be manually turned on and off in addition to adjusting the pressure that it is required for each action. So reaching the regulator on the back of the machine can be difficult in itself depending on how much space is available and seeing what the pressure setting is doing can also be a challenge because the view is obstructed from the rear of the machine. Keep in mind with this set up, the pressure has to be manually adjusted up and down possibly multiple times during one program. This is not very efficient.

In my opinion it is completely ridiculous that Laguna left the air assist design at this stage. The Ruida Controller is fully capable of controlling a properly equipped air system using pneumatic solenoids that are less than $20 on Amazon.

So needless to say, I removed the factory air assist and added several new components. This is still a work in progress and I am still trying to learn the software side of things so my setup is not properly working at 100% yet. I still need to play around with it some when I get more free time. However I can now manually control this set up according to which type of use the laser is in progress of. Once I figure out all of the settings the Ruida Controller will control everything. All I will need to do is preset the pressureS.

Here are some photos.

The air comes in from the power panel on the back of the machine. It comes to a shut-off valve first. Next it goes into a filter/water trap. I also have an extensive filter and water trap at the source next to the shop air compressor that is the supply source. A droplet of water on the lense in the laser head could destroy it. So it is best to make sure clean-dry Air is flowing through the system. This will also allow for longer life of the pneumatic solenoids. Water and debris can wreak havoc on them as well.

I installed the supplied pressure regulator after the filter. This pressure regulator limits the pressure of air that enters the system. It acts as a Governor. I installed it at this point for two reasons. First, to keep excess pressure from entering the laser, it keeps the operator from turning the pressure up way to high causing damage to the machine. Since my shop air compressor can exceed 150psi, I wanted to limit the pressure so that the pressure never gets above 60psi (I am still trying to verify this pressure setting it might go up/down once I have everything fine tuned). Second, some pneumatic solenoids need pressurized above a certain pressure so that they properly activate. This threshold for the solenoids is above the required pressure the laser needs for rastering. This guarantees that the air flow is adequate enough for the solenoids but not too high for the rest of the system.

When the air exits the first regulator it enters a manifold for the solenoids.

One solenoid is for the rastering and the other is for the cutting cycles. Each solenoid is attached to the Ruida Controller in a different fashion. One is controlled by the Status pin and the other is attached to the Wind pin.

The Status pin activates the solenoid for the rastering Function. And the Wind pin activates the solenoid for the cutting function.

I am considering replacing the current solenoids and manifold with the unit pictured below. I have a feeling it might be a better configuration. But I have not had the opportunity to try it yet.

Once the airflow is activated, the solenoids allow it to go to two independent Pressure regulators mounted on the front of the machine. One regulator is for cutting and one is for rastering. This way I can set both pressures independently and do not have to constantly adjust up and down according to the material or process in use. Several projects require both rastering and cutting. By having the independent controls I can dial in each pressure for the material being used on my test subjects. (Always test on scrap first).

On the front panel is a 3-way rocker switch. Each position activates a different function.

Raster Pressure Manually On
Logic On (the Ruida Controller is in charge)
Cutting Pressure Manually On

Also on the front panel is a pressure gauge that reads the actual pressure amount currently in use. This gauge only reads up to 30 PSI to help fine tune the rastering Pressure because this function only needs 2-5 psi. The cutting function uses much higher PSIs and Is not as important.

Eventually I will be cutting a plastic faceplate that is labeled that will attach over these features. This will help cleanup the overall design.

From the regulators the airlines come together at a Y-junction and connects to the airline feeding the Laser Head.

I am still working the bugs out of this system but currently the manual controls work effectively, I just have to pay attention to where the machine is in the program.

I am happy with how it is coming out. Soon it will be a highly effectient System once I work all of the kinks out.

Here are my favorite modifications so far!

Notice all of the Laguna Stickers are missing!!!

In addition I found a good place to store the rotary attachment when it is not in use.

We also have the same court situation here.

I just had to file against a neighbor last week. The Day after Thanksgiving 2016 his dogs viciously attacked mine, grabbing her by the breast with their teeth and dragging her between the fence uprights out of our yard. Total, This caused about $2000 in Vet Bills but we saved her life even though she still has a lasting impact from the attack and from the surgeries. He put his dogs down and thought that would resolve the issue and has refused to speak to me in regards of compensation for the bills. I hate that any persons pet has to be put down bc mine ARE family members, however this was the upteenth issue that we had had with one of the dogs and nearly ripping my dog apart limb from limb was the final straw, if he had not done it, it would have happened anyways. I actually had to run outside to break up the attack when I realized what was going on (what a sight to see bc I was Buck-Naked and did not hesitate to save my dogs life, she is more important to me than my dignity). The other neighbor saw the WHOLE THING, even me standing there with just a scowl on my face. Since then he has gotten two new dogs and they have been a nuisance as well. So obviously with the current situation and with the pending lawsuit things are far from over with the neighbor.

In regards to the Laguna Laser. It Is possible that I forfeited the lawsuit when I accepted the 25% compensation. Now I could probably go after them for the laser tube but this may be more than a hassle than it is worth. I am considering filing a claim against them with the Better Business Bureau in the State of California.

If I took them to court over the machine, I would have to SACRIFICE ALL of the time I have put into it already if the court ruled in my favor and I had to return the machine. Even at a full refund I would be out 100s of man hours already. As can be seen from this thread alone, that time has become SUBSTANTIAL.

I did forward this thread to ALL of the Laguna contacts that I have available in my address book. I want them to know what is being said about their business so that they can address it in-house so that no other unexpecting individuals have to put up with the load of horse manure that I have endured with this transaction.

I’m making it apparent that Laguna is not using good business tactics and I won’t go quietly, they even tried to buy my silence and then denied doing such. I am making it a point to share my experience with the World, so that everyone has the opportunity to see what they are getting into prior to investing into equipment from this manufacturer. A small mom and pop business could lose their business expecting a quality machine and getting what I received. This is why I have done my absolute best to provide HardCore Facts to back up every statement that I have made. I’m not doing this for myself but for our community of hardworking craftsmen that work hard for their money and deserve to get what they are paying for and not a pile of rubbish instead.

If Laguna had provided me with a Quality Tool to begin with, considering I was buying from name recognition, this would have never of happened.

I believe as of right now ALL of these upgrades/modifications/repairs have cost me approximately $750. Of course these are Retail Prices as well. Wholesale prices would be significantly less. I expect another $250 And this Machine will be a Complete Monster and will be a highly efficient CO2 Laser Cutter. Also keep in mind that some items of this $750 had to be bought in bulk, had to order 12 but only needed 1 or two. So I ended up with excess parts. Also part of this $750 were a few specialty tools that I will now be able to use on future projects.

This makes a total investment of around $1000 Retail on a machine that has a MSRP of nearly $10,000. This signifies that the machine should have more R&D performed prior to putting it on the market for unexpecting buyers. Fortunately for me, I had some Wonderful Individuals assisting me with the electronics and I learned a boat load in the process. I would not have been able to do it without those individuals.

2 Likes

I am a Very Proud person myself. However as I see it I made 3 mistakes with this purchase;

1. Choosing Laguna Tools
  2. Accepting Delivery after the shipping issues
  3. Thinking Laguna Tools was a Reputable Manufacturer.

Each of these mistakes came back to bite me.

We all make mistakes.

My Grandfather taught me that it’s not the mistake that you made that counts, it’s what you learned from that mistake and how you recover from it. That’s what counts.

He also instilled in me that:

“Evil Flourishes when good Individuals stand idle and do Nothing!”

He was my Superhero. He and my Father taught me to be a Honest And Caring Man And always do what’s right, No matter the cost. I sure do miss them both.

3 Likes

Kick ■■■ and take names.

2 Likes

Thanks for this review.

1 Like

Just as a follow up

Apparently Laguna or their employees, do not care. As of yet, No One from Laguna has responded, even to the fact that they sold me a tube (at whatever price), TOOK my money, and never provided the tube that I paid for.

This is a representation of the “quality” customer service that Laguna provides after the sale, they can not/will not fulfill their obligations. They took my money and don’t care if they provide “Everything” that was paid for.

I can only imagine what type of nightmare one would be dealing with when it comes to warranty service for one of their products with this type of service.

So far I have been happy with my Chinese 60 watt laser. The only problem so far was the ac fan in the electronics section was going bad and making noises. I have some fans from a computer server system that was easily adapted so I did not even bother to complain about a few dollar item. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the build. Crimp caps on all the wires, hot glue to keep the wires in place, and connection strips for multiple access.

1 Like

What is the circuit board for on the bottom in the electronics cabinet

That is the distribution point for ac power.

Michael,

It is not customary for our company to do a rebuttal for negative reviews but the management of Laguna Tools believes that the other side of the story needs to be voiced.
First I would like to introduce myself to your audience and encourage them to contact me at any time to discuss this situation. I am the Director of Sales for Laguna Tools and I have enjoyed a long career in the Industrial Machinery and worked for the company for nine years.
Laguna Tools is not a perfect company but we strive to place the customer first. We go to great lengths to make sure that all of our customers are happy and satisfied with their purchases. In rare instances where the customer is not happy we offer a mutually beneficial solution. However, in this customers case we were not able to. We did offer a FULL REFUND with the return of the machine but you refused. We offered you a NEW MACHINE and again refused. We did profusely apologize on multiple occasions as you can see from our Service Managers emails that were posted despite the ‘Confidential’ clause at the bottom of the email.
Laguna has admitted that the machine should not have left our building in the condition it was in. We have apologized several times and offered to give you all of your money back.

Michael – now we are doing this in public and sincerely hope that you will consider our offer.

Did you guys send him the tube that he paid for?

1 Like

He probably won’t be back. @MichaelGrigg must have hit them harder than they thought he could.

2 Likes

@StevenAlvarez

Why wouldn’t he refuse after he spent a lot of his time and money getting the machine working (over and above the cost of the machine).

It was nice of you to offer to send him the spare laser tube even though you quoted the incorrect price, he paid for it but then you refused to honor your own deal by not sending him the tube.

If your company was truly customer oriented you would not add insult to injury by making and breaking a second deal. You might try to get by saying the original mistake was a one off, but when you follow up with another mistake you truly show the nature of your company.

You are digging a deeper hole here. I doubt that anyone on this forum (and a few other forums) would do business with your company.

If you don’t respond to these comments then we will know that you were disingenuous with your post here.

And that would be a third mistake.

1 Like

At least by using his @ name he will get an e-mail with the content if he doesn’t come back.

2 Likes