Large Scale Inlay

Looks right to me?

Not me. I went ahead and changed the design and carved the recess. Going to attempt to cut out a few test fits for the inlay section today

So I used the same bit on the inlay piece. It had skipped areas and some of the profiles didn’t match up.

Do you need to pull the pieces of the inlay apart for them to cut properly?

the design i changed it to is a one piece design.

Ok, I was working off of the visual of the flower that you provided. What is the new design?

just to be clear… Easel does not do v-bit inlays… yet.

with the tight pieces of that rose, you may need to space the inlay parts further apart so they can be cut… then just take the pieces and put them in the inlay.

When I have done inlays with Easel I left the tolerance at the original level. my parts were pretty snug. but do some tests and you will be fine.

here’s the design i changed it to. the cut into the table is perfect, looks great. but the inlay test piece was all messed up. and the slots in the leafs didn’t connect all the way. i can try a smaller bit, but it already broke a 1mm bit on the first try.

oh yeah wow… that is a tough one to inlay. Might want to consider epoxy instead.

I’m considering it. going to try a few more test cuts first

1 Like

My brother-in-law has a ranch in Wyoming with a wide assortment of animals including buffalo. He needed a new table for his camper, so I did one with an inlaid buffalo for him. Just used all the standard easel settings and it turned out great. Virtually no gap between the pocket and the inlay.

3 Likes

@nicshimala yes in the first design it looked like the vectors ended up making the pieces separate. I think your instinct was right on that one. Mo did an Easel Live episode on the inlay app where she explains the tolerance feature.