Laser Engraver Ventilation

Given proper installation, ducting, etc. are there any reasons as to why you can’t or shouldn’t use a range hood fan that exhausts the fumes away from a laser machine?

So here’s my thinking, if I get a tabletop machine (looking at the Emblaser) I can have it underneath a 400CFM exhaust hood that directly vents outside via an exhaust vent. This way, I don’t necessarily need an enclosed cutter, I get a built-in light over the machine and I could use it in a more flexible area than my basement.

There’s probably some risks due to potential other A/C airflow but a 400CFM exhaust maybe 2 to 2.5 ft away should be good, right?

Wouldn’t do this. If you pick up a hot ember with the air flow you could start a fire in the attic.

3 Likes

Good catch.

The hoods I’ve seen do have input filters but still, wouldn’t want to risk that.

But, other than that, anything fundamentally flawed?

I found it cheaper to fabricate a hood and using an inline duct fan to expel the smoke to the exterior. If embers make it 3 feet to the fan intake, I have bigger issues than setting the exterior on fire.

They do make filters for laser printers. Here’s an example;

https://www.purenature24.com/ozone-und-particulate-matter-filter-carbon-for-laser-printers

You do not want air flow going up.
You want to put the exhaust vent towards the bottom and in the back.
You need air flow to prevent carbon from getting on the lens. If the lens gets coated it could cause burns in it. This reduced the effectiveness of the cut.
When I used a laser system the vent duct was in the back of the machine and you can use the flame proof ducting sold at lowes or Home Depot. Vent the fumes outside and do not mix sawdust with it. Use different ducts if you have to.
I do not think you need a filter for it either as long as your ducting to the outside.

1 Like

The Emblaser 2 does.

From what I’ve read, the Emblaser 1 does not but I could be wrong (it appears open framed)

Emblaser 2 = $3,000
Emblaser 1 = $800