Laser Upgrade

I just installed the J-tech 3.8W laser on my machine last weekend and I am having a ball with it.

2 Likes

I also have the 3.8w from J-Tech and use it a lot. very happy with getting this add-on and very pleased with the results.

When using the J-tech what software are you using?

I am using v-carve for both spindle and laser.

I use Inkscape with J-Tech plugin more than anything but sometimes I use the pic-laser software that my wife bought and she has installed on her windows system. I also have found that I needed to use UGS to send the g-code as browser based versions tend to have trouble with files larger than 5 meg. As far as software goes it is always what works best for you in the moment. sometimes I need or want something different and I am always willing to learn something new. so there is no wrong answer when it comes to software, use what works for you and whatever you like to use.

1 Like

Also of great interest is this post about Fusion 360 and the J-Tech laser. Better experience with Lasers and Fusion 360

+1 for the J-Tech (mine is the 2.8) and PicEngrave Pro 5 software with Picsender to send the g-code.

3 Likes

Tech 3.8w for me as well. PicEngrave 5Pro for creating the gcode and then I use UGS to control the xCarve. Easel for Spindle. I change two $ codes when switching between doing laser/spindle which takes all of 20 seconds in Easel or UGS to do.

1 Like

+1 for the JTech 3.8W. I use the JTech post processor for Vcarve Pro/Desktop. I have done a lot of cool things with it.

anyone cutting through wood with the jtech 2.8 or 3.8, or just marking?

If I want to create image files I use 3dpBurner Image2Gcode or VCarve and am now using 3dpBurner Sender to send to machine. Both 3D products are free and seem to work well.

I have cut through 1/8 wood with the 3.8w laser from J-Tech but for me anything after the 3rd pass it starts charring bad. so I installed a bump stop (made sure it was aligned with the laser) and then flipped the work piece cutting from the back. Also I am sure I can do better just need to keep working on keeping the focus right.

Robert,
Add an air assist to improve cutting.
John

http://www.picengrave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=102&p=660&hilit=Air+assist#p660

1 Like

I broke down and bought a 60W laser so I have no need for this anymore.
I purchased the LaserInk laser attachement for the Shapeoko2 from Nicholas Williams here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1923304356/laser-ink
Happy to take pictures of the setup if anyone is interested.

I’ve never gotten around to setting it up and everything is still in the box. It comes with a software license and from what others have said their Laser software is pretty solid.
If you have any interest in purchasing it, let me know. PM or you can email at kyleacker at gmail dot com

how much is laser?

I just posted it over here so we can take it there not to continue to mess up this thread…

I’m trying to decide which laser upgrade I should buy.
Does anyone have a good feel on which company is best for the X Carve?

JTech seems to be what most get.

I bought a PLH3D 6w laser from Opt Lasers with the intent of installing it on my X-Carve. I never got around to it and I am selling my 1000mm X-Carve so it’s for sale if anyone wants it.

Any pictures and a price?