(Old) Lead Screw Upgrade Kit (OLD THREAD)

All my files were made from scratch from beginning to end.

2 Likes

Oh man. Amazing :heart_eyes:

It appears to me (and I am not an engineer) that at some point adding a more powerful and heavier spindle will start to distort the x and y rails since they still carry the weight. Solution: replace the x and y rail with different, stronger extrusions at which point you have created a new custom designed cnc machine.

My question would be, not trying to start another debate here or run down anybodyā€™s mods, when is it better to just stop modding what you have and start from scratch and design what you need?

Not when the rails are well supported. and the spindle is heavy but not nearly enough to strain the system.

Thats the age old question. However keep in mind most of us are hobbyists not professionals, so the ā€œbudget at the momentā€ has a greater influence on what machine/upgrade path is purchased at said moment than anythings else.
The amount i spend on my hobbies/upgrades is low, but added up i could have bought a Tormach or equivelant. But at the time of purchase i had no money or exp to excuse such a purchaseā€¦
Same with PC upgradesā€¦ Lets not jump down any rabbit holes, and lets avoid taking any Alice(acid).
:grin::v:

Got my kit on order. Looking forward to cracking on with the upgrade

@Phantomm is the order window closed? If not whats the price point at the moment? Just ordered a Z axis from cnc4newbies and would love to add this to the mix.

There were a few cancellations so i do have some extra slots open till my supplier tells me its all cut up. Which is pretty soon as he had to order a large number of full size sheets just to fill my order XD.

Edit: Belay that order only 2 more left.

1 Like

once its all together, what is the new dimensions of a 1000mm version of the x carve? Iā€™m just wondering if the machine will no longer fit in to my enclosure and i might need to rebuild it.

Donā€™t remember offhand. Try searching the forum above. It should have the dimensions I believe.

Once Iā€™m in my shop Iā€™ll give a quick measure.
But just assume the height will definitely be off. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Update:
Final price has been calculated and Paypal invoices are going out soon. Fulfillment time is around 2-3 weeks or less from all payments being received.
What I need:
Address
Email
If I already have them you are good to go until you get your invoice with shipping price included. If I donā€™t have an address shipping will be approximated.
For the rest of the order I will once again have the supplier send out the rest at cost price+shipping.

@Phantomm Is there still availability to get in on this round of orders for the upgrade kit?

Thanks.

1 Like

I had a few cancellations so Iā€™ll pm you.

44ā€x44ā€
In metric thatā€™s 44ā€x44ā€ Cuz metric isnt real. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It might be unreal, but itā€™s decimal :slight_smile:

FYI, GRBL natively works in metric. Feeding it g-code in inches is handled fine, but results in higher processing and I assume rounding.

After some quick googling, it seems this might be the case in other controllers too.

Image taken from here:

If there are any left could I get a final cost. I might like this upgrade also since I already busted a belt a lost a job.

Will check. Final price is $428ish

1 Like

Still missing some info from people. If I donā€™t get it in time I will have to move to the next person in line.
Final price this time unless something changes (again :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:) should be $413.00 + shipping and tax if applicable.

I know you posted this before, but for some reason I cannot find your email to put my info on the list. Do you mind telling me how to send the information to you?

Pm me for now. Iā€™m still hung half way between 150 ppl who did send me info and 50 ppl who confirmed but did not send me info and calculating my cost based on those who did. And I canā€™t order anything until I collect and I canā€™t collect unless I have emails to send invoices to and have a final price and I canā€™t have a final price until I get all the emails to send invoices to and etc etc etc.

So please send me the info I requested to I can proceed with calculating and ordering all my supplies. :pray:

2 Likes