(Old) Lead Screw Upgrade Kit (OLD THREAD)

Well if there is another batch in the future I’d love to be included and would be happy with the 500-550 dollar price. If you are keeping a list, please put my Name down.

BW

Simon

1 Like

have you gotten quotes for making them out of mild steel? a good waterjet operator will leave the parts ready to ship right off the machine, shouldnt need tumbling.

Yes. But it comes down to cost and what price ppl are willing to pay. Machine operator aside, the price for perfect un-scratched aluminum plates makes no sense if it’s even possible. They are ready off the machine however they do require tapping and the tumbling gives it a nicer look. Funny thing is that the guy I use gave me a price that was half of what I got quoted from the other cheapest guy I can find, plus he finishes and cleans it for me included in his price while the others most definitely did not. I got quotes from $350 a set all the way up from there, plus minimums and setup charges. My guy only has a minimum but no setup charge and he is relatively local to me (1.5hr drive) so I can save on shipping as well.

Also I forgot the water jet spray back leaves a mark around the holes cut so the tumble helps keep it blended in.

nice. I typically end up getting 3-4 laser/waterjet/plasma quotes per day for work and thought the prices were a bit high until I looked at the x axis end plate drawing for reference…Lots of very small holes, I imagine that drives cost up.

Tremendously. The machine time is huge. Plus the accuracy needed for the plates also drive the cost.

When can we expect shipping info now that it is past the due date for payment?

Everything has been ordered. So projected shipping is on schedule for 3/15. :grin::+1:t2:

What is the highest you have pushed your feed rates with this setup?

I have gone at NOT RECOMMENDED!!! 9000mm/m.
With a weaker motor you need to go a little slower… 4000-5000mm/m.
A big thing is acceleration as well.

The faster you go the shallower you wanna cut.
My 9kmm/m was in rapids not during cutting.

1 Like

Understand that optimum feed rate is a function of bit diameter, surface speed (SFM,cutting tip rotational speed), numbers of flutes, RPM, material and system rigidity. Wether it is belts, screws, rack & pinion matter less - but still a factor obviously.

For one - with screws you can bump up the acceleration compared to belts (less give)

I know, just curious what people were pushing it to.

As most of us are low budget hobbiests we don’t aleays push too far as bits can get expensive real quick.

1 Like

Very true, but going to slow will eat bits too.

However, “speed” could also be measured in Material Removal Rate (MMR)
200ipm @ 0.01" have much lower MMR than 50ipm @ 0.1" for instance.
IPM is mainly a value derived from material/RPM/diameter and number of flutes (targeting a optimum chip thickness)

1 Like

for me, I run the machine fast and aggressive, so long as my work piece turns out with the desired look and finish.

I would rather pump out more product and replace consumables IE belts and bits so long as my customers projects are coming out looking nice and with a decent speed from time of order to when they can take the item home. once mine arrives and I get it all dialed in I plan to find out what the max I can run the machine for various materials and make a log of it. I’ll post it here for anyone interested…(with of course a “do this at your own risk” disclaimer lol)

1 Like

Yep, the key is MRR. Speed is just one of the three factors of MRR, the other two being DoC and WoC.

Acceleration is also more important than speed. Specially in desktop machines (i.e. relatively short travels) and/or detailed work (i.e. frequent change of direction) the speed on the input gcode might never be reached with inadequate acceleration.

I’ve being working on the latter myself lately. Will post soon on another thread.

1 Like

Has anyone had the lead screw upgrade delivered to the UK, I was wondering what the total cost would be roughly, with the dreaded VAT and any other charges

I believe if it’s less than a certain amount of money they don’t charge for import

If it’s more than £15 you have to pay
Thank’s for that link Haldor