Learning Curve help

I have the 2D carving in the bag. I would like to get in to 3D work. I plan to invest in V-carve (just got the trial) and also an Opt Laser in August.

In the mean time, I would like to start learning. I am more of a hands on type learner. YouTube and tutorials are great but not the same as hands on. Anyone know if there are any workshops in central/north central Ohio area that offer a hands on experience working with v-carve for an x-carve?

TIA
Sheri

A lot of us, myself included use the X-Carve and V-Carve to do 3D work.
The Vetrics site has some great tutorials on setting up a 3D job, you can have the video playing on one monitor and have V-Carve open on another. Then you can follow along step by step.
Once you do a 3D carve you will say to yourself, why didn’t I do this sooner, its not that difficult.
Just in case you don’t find anyone in Ohio that does training you can always ask here.
Russell

3 Likes

Thanks Russell. Watching a lot of videos and playing in the trial version of Pro until I upgrade.

2 Likes

You can use V-Carve desktop to do 3D carves, you just cant design 3D models and you’re limited to a 24" X 24" area.V-Carve Pro you can carve a bigger area but still cant design 3D models, you need Aspire for that.
So you would open an STL file and set and save the tool paths.
Then save the g-code for each bit.
Then you can use Easel to send the job to the X-Carve.
You have to have the correct Post Processor installed in V-Carve when you save the g-code.
This is the Post Processor being used right not, save it for later.
Easel_Grbl_Inch.pp (3.4 KB)
Good Luck
Russell

4 Likes

Hi Sheri,
I don’t know where you’re at, but I’m in Canal Winchester.
I use Vectric software exclusively for all 2D and 3D work.
I would be glad to help you out.
Or, as Russel said, go to the Vectric website.
Also, join the Vectric forum. There are many VERY smart peope on there that are more than willing to help out.

3 Likes

Hey Jan, I’m about an hour north of Columbus near Bucyrus. I would love to shadow somebody doing a 3d carve. Maybe once i do upgrade we can arrange a show and tell, lol. Like i said, i am better learning hands on and being able ask questions throughout the process. Youtube just doesn’t offer that :confused:

Sheri you might want to take a look at this.

(174) Tips & Tricks | Mirror Mode | Vectric - YouTube

1 Like

Hi Sheri,
I currently don’t have a 3D project in process.
I’m pretty much doing 2D work and laser work.
You’re welcome to keep InTouch, and if something comes up I can let you know.
Of course, If you have a 3D file project ready to go, I can certainly work on with you.
vanderlindenj01@gmail.com

1 Like

Thanks Ken4

1 Like

Thanks Jan, I will keep in touch. Its actually nice knowing someone is close enough to show me the ropes. Once I get everything set up or have something to test carve I will let you know. Sheri

1 Like

There may be some college courses or vocational classes out there, but in the meanwhile, I’d like to suggest looking at Mark Lindsay’s YouTube playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLuYLaC3-QRNuVTej2P5emp1D4_Tm774p

2 Likes