Lines after resurfacing - what settings to use?

I am trying to resurface a board. The settings I used are: Raster and vertical plunge. Do I need to use the ramp setting?

I uploaded a picture, hope it works.

try doing this,

(270) How to Calibrate and Tram your CNC | Project Mehr | Guitar Build Log Part 1 - YouTube

1 Like

i have done the homing and calibration, but will watch the vid.

Thanks

From the picture it just looks like the z axis isn’t square.

1 Like

It needs to be trammed properly
This isn’t an xcarve but the testing process shown applies to all cncs: surface, use the diy tool & adjust angles until the tool isn’t dragging anywhere, and resurface to verify it’s good.
The big issue i often see is people trying to use the square shown in the inventables guide without surfacing first, making the entire process pointless.

how come I do not get these lines when I use a different bit? Like making a section to put a coin or something? I only get these when trying to resurface and use the bigger .625 in bit. Just wondering.

1 Like

it could always be a bad end mill. If its one with inserts and the inserts aren’t set at the right height/angle it could cause this. What’s the stepover?

1 Like

Or, you are pushing the machine a little too fast and the forces are causing the aluminum to bend. Have you tried slowing down the machine when you attempt to flatten a board?

{:0)

Brandon Parker

1 Like

The larger the stepover the more apparent the angle issue will show. That is why the diy tool is so large, too amplify the issue and make it easier to get darn near perfect.

I was thinking it was the feed and depth speed was the issue. My question is which is slower? 72 in/min or 30 in/min. I am thinking 30 but wanted to make sure.

My settings are:

Feed Rate
30 in/min

Plunge Rate
9 in/min

Depth per pass
0.028 in

Using the Vertical plunge. Should this be changed to 5 or 20 degree?

These were not the settings that I used the first time I think it was to fast. Just getting some ideas.

Thanks for all the replies yall
Todd

I also shared the project:
https://easel.inventables.com/projects/ukOJv7SO9xb0p1-yawB_XA

1 Like

You’ve got it correct, the lower number is a slower rate if movement.

I would only go 0.012" depth per pass when surfacing. And with this shallower depth should allow you to use a faster feed rate without over working the cnc

Since the pass depth is very thin an angled plunge isn’t really needed

1 Like

Wow with the new settings the project takes 4 hours…

possibly you made a mistake.
smaller stepover over an hour
Easel - CNC BED LEVEL (inventables.com)
larger stepover less time under an hour
Easel - CNC BED LEVEL (inventables.com)

1 Like

The feed rate is almost 80 in/min. (30 in/min) You want it that fast?

Also you are taking allot off with each pass. 0.15748 in compared to 0.012 in.

Should I make it faster and/or chew off more wood? Or would this cause the lines like it did?

I see that you’re looking at the Depth Per Pass, but maybe didn’t notice that the Design Depth is only 0.1mm = 0.004"

When the Design Depth is less than the Depth Per Pass, than the DPP is ignored and the carve is performed to the Design Depth in a single pass, so Ken’s file will only carve 0.004" away. You’d then need to either re-Zero Z or increase that Design Depth a bit (in 0.004" increments) until the entire surface has been skimmed away a little bit.

Because the pass is so thin, Yes, the 80IPM is applicable, in fact it will reduce the likelyhood of burning the wood when a faster feedrate is used, so that is an additional benefit of thin & fast passes.

I didnt noticed that.

Thanks for the clarification.

Todd

1 Like

When (CNC) it goes “up and down the width” I get no lines, but when it goes “side to side length” I get lines now. Still just changing the settings and trying them out but getting close.

you just might need shim you’re on top or bottom depending on direction of tilt on your Z

I used this Amazon.com: GEARWRENCH Feeler Gauge Set - 12 Blade & 6 Wire Spark Plug Gap - 164 : Automotive

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.