Lithophane Carving

Same here.

Just out of curiosity, I applied some search skills. (Sort of.)

Found this that implied Candlestone’s source: Candlestone Gift Co | See Full Importer History | ImportGenius

Which lead me to this: https://koris.en.alibaba.com/productlist.html

Disclaimer: I have no idea if Candlestone Gifts has any sort of deal with them re: exclusiviity, but seems like the original intent of the material is indeed as a countertop Corian clone, so if you do a LOT of these and wanted to pursue your own bulk buy, there’s the info.

I looked for free software and never found anything that worked. The Vectric’s PhotoVcarve will do a pretty good job for $150 or you can get Artcam Standard for $45/month.

1 Like

Not free, but we have a program that is much cheaper then the alternative. Our PicLaser will generate gcode to cut Lithophanes. When you decide to add a laser, it will generate gcode for laser raster engraving photos also. It even has a built in image editor.

www.piclaser.com

2 Likes

Larger project- 11"X14" litho. Overall project took about 30 hours to complete (with a failure in the middle of the project).
-Adjust picture for project-`1 hour (I am still slow with software products) Picture size was 12"X9" with 1" edging
-Failed cut -2.5 hours - had a belt break…forced to start over unfortunately
-Full cut of backside and litho- 22.5 hours
-Cutout and laser dots on acrylic for lighting - 1.5 hrs
-Set up electrical (add switch and solder connections) -0.1 hrs
-Framing- 0.1 hrs
Material used- Corian, acrylic, LED lights, power supply, switch.

3 Likes

RobertCanning- thank you. It was for the Theatre teacher. In his first year teaching, he has brought his drama team through MS State competition with success and they are off to the multi-state regionals. I thought it was a good gift for him and his team. It seems most of my lithos have emotional ties to them for the folks that receive them. I suspect that is why I was willing to put the hours in to make them. I continue to be impressed with Picengrave’s software. I don’t get any compensation for advocating for their software, but as a satisfied customer I am grateful for their programs.

2 Likes