Logo Advice

I am trying to come up with a logo for my new company name. Can’t seems to find something i can use at work (program wise) to help with the lettering the way i want (or font for that matter). I just threw a few things together in Easel to see what it would look like. I’d like to have the letters curved and make the image better so i can scale it to something smaller for the bottom of works.

Any ideas for programs to use for something like this? Aside from Inkscape, going to give that a shot when I get home today.

You can curve the letters right in easel. Also if you go on the fiver site you can have someone do the whole thing for $5.

I’ve been trying to figure how to curve them, but the app in Easel seems to be making me look dumb right now. Can’t figure out how to make the words curve the way I want them to

I’m getting there. Had to use Microsoft Word, then screenshot it and do an image trace. Just trying to get the look and rough layout for now before trying other programs to make it nice and clean.

Main issues I’m having is that the dot on the “i” is considered it’s own item, and the “g” seems to always be centered with the other letters.

Use Inkscape.

FWIW, Macromedia Freehand had the best text on path tools / formatting I’ve ever used. I’d hope that Serif’s Affinity Designer would have inherited that.

2 Likes

Like I said, I’m going to try Inkscape when I get home. Unfortunately I can’t install it on my work computer.

I believe you meant “kerning”?

Which of course, raises the relevant XKCD:

For those who wish to learn more about spacing letterforms, I would suggest:

• good books on calligraphy
  • Michael Harvey’s Creative Lettering Today
  • Betty Binns’ Better Type
  • Walter Tracy’s Letters of Credit
2 Likes

IMHO the owl is too large. As it is line-art (i.e. abstract) it is blending in with the surrounding font. Shrinking it a bit should sharpen definition.

I’m also a fan of really simplifying the design, especially for a brand. Allows for throwing it on swag and other places a lot easier.

Just an idea along those lines. saw blade turned owl’s head

14 Likes

Damn, i like that one. A lot.

I agree with simplifying it, just not sure where to go with it.

What did you draw that one in?

Thought about it, still tinkering with it. Some.good ideas on here already.

Just worried about the carveability if I shrink the owl.

Also thought of a side profile, not sure…

Adobe Illustrator. Been using it for over 10 years and love it

Might need to get that then. I have Photoshop, but I haven’t opened it on like 6 years, rusty would be an understatement

I would have to +1 on the Affinity Designer. Lots of text control settings. Certainly more than capable of creating this design. By the way, I really like the one with the owl’s head as the blade. Good luck on your adventure.

1 Like

I’ll have to look into that one, too.
I agree, I like the idea of the blade/owl head combo. Very slick

FWIW, I’ve often noted that I would quit doing graphic design / typography before resorting to primarily using Adobe Illustrator — it’s been rubbing me the wrong way and annoying me for a lot longer than 10 years (since v3.2 on a NeXT Cube to be exact).

Never was really pleased w/ any vector drawing programs until Freehand got ported to NeXTstep as Altsys Virtuoso — Serif’s Affinity Designer and Inkscape are reasonably nice, and quite capable.

What are Freehand and NEXTstep?

I like the designs! Since there is a nice flow in here… What do ya’ll think about these designs? I’ve been trying for days to get something that I like. Let me know what you think, and if there is something I should change :slight_smile:

2 Likes