Looking at dust collectors

Since we talking Dust collectors, don’t forget the great canister filters than can replace bag for even better performance.

1 Like

I looked at the canister filters and they are really expensive and the bag filter I have is doing a great job. So I did not see the need to spend the money. Instead I purchased a shop air filter system. Any dust not sucked into the collector gets pulled out of the air by the shop filter

https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-AF4000-Filtration-System-400-CFM/dp/B00NET7156/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1473367253&sr=1-3&keywords=shop+air+cleaner

I run cartridge filters available from Wynn Environmental. They are a bit pricey but they have much more filter area than bag filters do and make a big difference with the amount of air flow.

You can also make a fairly good cartridge filter by stacking several circular automotive filters and sealing the top. A little harder to clean than the application specific cartridge, but not too difficult if you have an air compressor.

I finally filled up the 70 gallon clear plastic bag on my HF dust collector and started looking for a replacement bag. It was more difficult than I thought it would be to find them at a decent price. So here are the bags I bought in case anyone else is looking for replacements. (Note: this is the bottom collector bag, not the filter bag)

1 Like

Good to know Allen… I just recently bought the HF collector as well and wondered if I would be able to find some bags or just have to re-use. Thanks for sharing…

1 Like

on the shopsmith Dc I used to own I just used the contractor trash bags from the B.O.R.G. (big orange retail giant AKA Home Depot)

The bag opening was quite a bit larger than the housing on the dc but I just folded it over and secured it in the clamp on the machine. worked pretty good and was alot cheaper than the alternative.

1 Like

I know it’s been awhile for this thread, but I just picked up a new vac for use w\ my XC and I’m exceptionally happy with the results.

Up to this point I’ve been using my Festool CT26 vac, however whenever I’m carving I’m unable to use any of my other Festool tools with dust collection, and I was actually contemplating another CT 26, when I found that Festool had just come out with a new vacuum.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EA8L1PA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it because it’s small, and while there was a lot of speculation as to whether or not it would work well with a cyclone, I can happily report that it works just fine with my Dust Deputy and I’ve been using for several hours with my XC without any issue.

I have been trying to consolidate and reduce the footprint of my CNC space, this vac helps a LOT, as it allows me to downsize from a large footprint vac under the bench, to a small footprint box I can place on a shelf above the XC with the Dust Deputy and the 5Gal pail on the same shelf…

Just thought I’d throw this out there.

1 Like

I’m just curious how well your suction is working?
I connect my X-Carve to the 2hp HF dust collector and there just isn’t enough flow to really get it working. How are you connecting your system to your X-Carve?

Something must be not right with your dust collector Darren.

I have a 1hp dust collector. 600 cfm I think and it is plenty strong enough to suck up all the dust with my suckit on.

My router moves more air then my collector pulls. Oddly enough, the chips blow out from under my skirt/brush while most of the finer dust is vacuumed up.

also i believe it’s been shown that if you do a Y off the main line and have an open port, you get better flow but I could be mistaken.

You can leave it open but just watch that dust doesn’t come back out after you turn it off. I put a 4” clean out and drilled holes through the side so I can adjust the air for better suction. I also bought 4 foot tall 1 micron bag from Lee Valley Tools. There bags are worth the money.

I have an 1100 cfm Jet DC with a dust deputy and .5 micron filter, suction is fine unless I have another port open. The XC dust hose is the first branch off the DC and if any other 4" port downline is open the suction at the XC is very poor. as long as I close any other blast gates in the system the xc suction is perfect.

1 Like

I have a 4” going to the x-carves dust collection. I connected it to a Y last night with a gate on it. I have to bleed the gate a little bit to get enough air through the system for it to start working well. I’ve got a 3hr carve later tonight to do so I’ll run it through it’s paces and see how it does with a little air bleeding through it.

Just seems like the dust collector was too bogged down with such a small line. I use it for my 17” bandsaw with 2-4” lines all day long with 0 issues.
Dd

1 Like

If you have too much restriction the fan will cavitate and not suck anything.

To add to that, the direction of the impeller blades have an impact on that behavior, check out the diy Tyler YouTube video on his DC modifications, he changes his impeller and there’s a discussion on that vid iirc which explains why the design is better. The cheaper DC have the fins swept the wrong direction …