Looking for suggestions

Hi everyone, I’m looking for some suggestions on how to carve a box lid I’m building for my father in laws ashes. In my haste, nervousness, anxiety among other things ( this being the first box I ever built) I totally spaced and forgot to carve the lid before assembly it. The lid is 1/8 inch Red Oak ( my pop as I called him always worked with Red Oak) on top glued to 1/8 cedar for the inside to equal 1/4. My thoughts were to cut a piece of wood to insert into the cavity of the lid and clamp to do the carve. A few details I added 1/8 Red Oak to the splines and in the process of making Red Oak hinges ( you tube is a awesome thing).
Thanks

Box looks very nice. I think you should carve out a piece that fits in that center section either covering the entire area or even just a section of it. then seal the whole thing with a nice clear natural sealer.

1 Like

You could alternate between through cuts and different depths or try a 3D carve. I would definitely carve the insert piece separate from the lid and then glue it on afterward.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Because how nervous I am doing this, I thinking of going with the insert maybe just of some type of shape and then center it in the lid. That way if I mess it up and can always redo the insert.

Thanks