Loosing Steps on X Axis - Stuttering in X- Direction but smooth on X+

Yeah, I need some sleep, but I gotta see how this ends. :smiley:

Still carving along with no issues so far. 3h 50min left… The last pass is a finishing pass so its fairly slow. I will probably pause the job though in a little bit, then continue tomorrow. So far so good though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to hear it’s working. That means, you have to clean more often, check your alignments periodically. We all do this. It takes 5 minutes to check wheel adjustments with two finger turn. They will come loose until everything settles.

Not sure if it was the cleaning (although I agree it’s important), I think it was either the disassembly and reassembling of the x carriage with all the wheels that did it, but yeah cleaning is important with all the debris flying around. I think I will get some rail dust protectors, seems to be worth it :smile:

So far so good, once it’s done I update everyone again and post a picture of the result.

I want to say thanks though already to everyone for the help and suggestions in the past weeks, I really appreciate it. Hopefully all these things help somebody else one day, it sure has been a long thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good morning! I resumed the carving job and UGCS tells me its done in 2h. Like promised, once its done, I give you all a final status :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Everyone!

Good news, everything came out fine!

I attached some pictures :smile:

It even came back to 0 0 0 exactly where i started!

At the top half the Z axis carving came out better. In the bottom 3/4 it did not smooth it out really, Z was too high.
I think that was caused by me not 100% putting the mill on the stock when I started the job, so I dont think there is an issue.

Thanks again to everyone who helped fixing this issue, I really appreciate it and hopefully some day somebody else can use this thread (which covered i think almost all fix-suggestions for an issue like this) to solve their issue quicker.

Thanks again all!

Oliver

3 Likes

Ok, Oliver.

Glad you got it worked out and I hope now you can enjoy your machine.

Larry

I will Larry, thanks for all your help!

Hi there guys,

Sounds like I might be having a similar issue… Can anyone here help? I’m still pretty new to all this.

Thanks,
H

So it looks that taking the carriage apart and cleaning it was the answer for this issue. I’m having the exact same issue and I have the same grey residue on my wheels.

I’m worried because I’ve just set up my machine and have only done about 2 hours of work. Literally I have done setup and one job. I realize I need to clean the machine but this seems extreme. Any thoughts before I take everything apart.

Thank you!