Magazine Rack

This is my second product design for my X-Carve. Not liking the look of magazines just laying around all over the place, I decided to design and make a simple and functional magazine rack. This magazine rack measures roughly 16.5" in length, 12" in height and 8" in width.

This design affords 4 surfaces for high personalization and customization, and 2 for branding or “Easter Eggs” placement. After a couple of sketches using Easel, I decided on 1/2" plywood but first I wanted to make a prototype to ensure my design translated well into fit and function. For the prototype I used a pre-cut 2’ x 2’ x 1/2" MDF from Home Depot. The 2’ x 2’ Fine Plywood pre-cuts are available on order from HD at reasonable prices.

I’m thinking now of all the things that can be created from a 2’ x 2’ board and with minimum waste.

How about a 2’ x 2’ X-Carve challenge? What do you think?

For Easel access, project details and instructions go to Magazine Rack | Inventables. You can also visit my blog at Magazine Rack - aDIYct

Looking forward to your feedback.

7 Likes

That looks fantastic.

Just a thought, if you could also angle the ends a little you could stack one inside another. That might be advantageous for the person taking a whole batch of these to sell at a craft show.

Thank you, Harry. Good idea! I’ll play with the design when I get a chance after the holidays and see if I can angle the ends so it can be stacked. If I’m successful building a prototype, I’ll post an update.

Parts with different carvings/engravings/colors/stains could also be made in advance, then mixed/matched and assembled at a craft show to the buyers satisfaction.