Major Problems CNC Extension

@AllenMassey

hey allen do they have the offical LMT Onsrud logo imprinted on the end mill?

They are stamped, I don’t recall if there was a logo or not, I can check when I get home.

Yeah man could you please send me a picture of the end mill with all the lettering on it

thanks

They are stamped with
ONSRUD
40-024
5/16
c be

There is no logo, but it looks exactly like the catalog picture. I have no idea what the c be code means.
But I checked my other Osnrud tools and none of them had a logo either.

@AllenMassey

Hey thanks for the picture I am just curious because to my (limited) knowledge all onsrud tools have there official logo stamped on them

I wonder if they are not a copy cat endmill (aka knockoff) I am checking with my personal tool rep to find out if maybe they are an older model of endmill before they started to stamp them

I just wonder about them being a knock off due to the price

*** Don’t get me wrong I myself ordered a set and I in no way want the seller of these end mills to catch any flac if they are non-legitimate endmills I am just curious**

Reason i am curious is the require chip load for the tool to perform properly and get the required life out of it. If the grind is not exactly the same as the Onsrud grind then the chip load will be different and you could wear out the tool faster than expected.

but for 25.00 for 5 who cares if you mess a few up trying to dial them in lol

There could be a 1000 reasons as to why these end mills are being sold at a deeply discounted price so I am not to judge I am just curious if they are legit Onsrud

@AllenMassey

Okay I just got off the phone with my Onsrud rep and this is what he told me:

They are Legit Onsrud products

They where made around 1986 (that is what the cbe is for)

they were made on non cnc equipment back in the day a cost about 8.00 each brand new

They were made for pin routers for the Aerospace Industry to cut aluminum but will work just fine in natural woods

Seeing that they are coming from the northwest his best guess is that they are old stock from the Boeing Facility that is up there

The reason the price on the website is so high is because they are fresh grinds and made on a cnc machine not old stock

Some pretty cool history I told him the price and actually he said that was kinda expensive for 5 mills that are that old he has seen them go for 1.00 each

1 Like

Thanks for doing the research, very interesting,

I have never seen any 1/2 inch Onsrud tool being sold for under $5, so I think this is still a great deal. But it is probably a good deal for the guy selling them also. So everyone wins.

I did order 5 more. I hope they all cut as well as the first one. Let me know how your do when they arrive. Compared to the other downcut tools I have these are far and away the best.

hmmm…I need a spindle that takes a half inch shank…might be time to upgrade :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@ErikJenkins

hey erik when you do upgrade make sure and get collets that accept .125", .25", .375", and .5" tool that will open you up to alot of tools

also consider getting 3, 6, and 8 mm collets some very good tools like Datron are metric

@AllenMassey

yeah man no problem I figured I would find out why they where so cheap and your right you will not find any new Onsrud mill for 5 bucks only old stock

and yeah I wonder how many this seller has I might buy another 5 or 10 if they work out

what sorta cam recipes have you been using with these tools?

1 Like

I am using a super rigid machine with ball screw drives on all axis, So I don’t recommend this for the X-Carve.

But I normally do profile cuts in plywood with this tool at .25" doc at about 150ipm with the 1617 at it’s lowest RPM.

Just to see what it was capable of doing I cut a 6" x 6" pocket in cherry with a spiral ramp down at .5" doc and 120ipm (although it never really reached that speed do to acceleration limits), it came out perfect.

On my pro4896 machine

I try to run the bosch and setting 1 for the speed and it really loads the router up you dont have any problems doing that?

I usually run my router on 4 or 5 taking those same settings (.25" doc and 150 ipm)

Is there any chance at all you could shoot a video with sound showing you cut one setting 1 with a .25" and .5" doc

Maybe my router is bad but I just feel that it does not have the torque to run at the low speeds but your doing it?

Next run I make I will try to remember to video some of it.

I did a little web research (always scary) and it looks to me like the torque should be relatively constant over the RPM range.

This discussion on CNCZONE gets pretty deep in the weeds, but it makes sense to me (from the power equations) that at lower RPM’s the router actually has more power available than at higher RPM’s. Also it appears that the 1617evs Constant-Response Circuitry is designed to deliver constant speed whatever you are cutting. That means it must be able to increase the torque (up to the 2.25hp limit) at all speeds That’s one of the reasons it is so highly rated.

how does a ac motor on a rehostate have constant torque over the rpm range

are you meaning a spindle with vfd because a dc motor with a variable frequency drive will have constant torque

and sweet yeah man I would really like to see what yours sounds like because my router just sounds like it is going to fall flat on its face at those lower speeds

really I need to get a spindle for more power and to accurately monitor the rpm to achieve the proper chip load I am just having problems doing that now and once you can achieve that chip load my tools are going to last so much longer

1 Like

this is interesting lol

Semus, is this the Fixed-speed 25,000 rpm version of the 1617, or the common one I see everybody using, the Variable-speed 1617EVS? I think the EVS has a min speed of 8000 rpm, but if you use a SuperPID you could theoretically get it down to 5k rpm.

Sorry to disagree with you alan_3301 (well, partly), but the Power-Torque-Angular velocity equation is:

H = T * w,
where:
H = power in base unit (W for SI, ftlbf/sec for USCS)
T = torque in base unit (N
m or ft*lbf)
w =angular velocity (lowercase omega, rad/s).

So solving for T, you get:

T = H/w.

Torque to angular velocity is an inverse relationship. This means that for fixed horsepower, which would be the 2.25 hp maximum, higher w would generate less torque, and lower w would generate higher torque. If your base units are RPM, hp and you want torque in*lbf, with conversion factors it would be:

Tinlbf = Hmax * 33000 * 12 / (2 * pi * RPM)

5000 rpm >> T = 28.361 inlbf
8000 rpm >> T = 17.726 in
lbf
10000 rpm >> T = 14.18 inlbf
15000 rpm >> T = 9.45 in
lbf
20000 rpm >> T = 7.09 inlbf
25000 rpm >> T = 5.67 in
lbf

I can hear my old math teacher now lol

!!this is why you should of paid attention in my class!!

…cant i just put someone on the payroll to figure this out lol!

2 Likes

3 Likes

Check it out I scored another old stock bit today originally 100+ bucks and I got it for 45

.5" compression spiral solid carbide USA Made FS Tool

Let me know if anyone wants one I can get a bunch!!

I put a .125" tool in there for size comparison lol

2 Likes

Personally I would invest in GWizard so that I could factor in all of the variables to get an informed answer. Also remember that the manufacturer supplied numbers are for Bridgeports or full size CNC Routers that can carry multiple heads and not for Desktop Homebuilt CNC Routers.

I have a full size 4x8 production machine though

I can run up to 1200 ipm so I should be able to achieve tool manufacture chip loads

@RonaldLambier

what are the benefits to Gwizard versus just a simple chip load calculation?

I am not familiar with the program