Major Problems CNC Extension

Mr Conrnwell sounds like a good person to know. Thank you for the contact.

Have you tested the hand ground Onsrud tool yet?

Oh yeah no problem he will get you on the straight and narrow with tooling just make sure he understands you don’t have a 100,000 production machine lol he always told me to take run my X-carve at 1500 IPM before I told him I had something so small

Once you tell him that he is good at suggesting tools that are easy on machines including the more ridgid one you have now

1 Like

@AllenMassey

Also I tried out the tools finally tonight and IDK they are so-so in my opinion defiantly a roughing endmill because they do not leave a good bottom surface finish

I ran these tests at:

Feedrate: 108 ipm
DOC: .25"
Chipload: .006"
RPM: 18000
conventional milling
.020" finishing pass radial no axial

They produce nice chips but I think for pocketing a finishing end mill needs to be used if you want a really good finish but for through cutting in soft woods these bits should do it all day long

Good Chips though

That is odd, mine left a bottom surface that feels like it was sanded with 1200 grit paper

I made some pockets in an old scrap piece of pine.

@AllenMassey

If you put the bit in the collet and zero it on the material is only 1 little edge of the tool touching the material?

also what was the set over that you where running on those cuts?

I auto zero to a touch plate so as soon as any part of the tool touches the plate it stops and sets the zero. I did not look to see how much of the tool actually touched, but based on the shape I am sure it was just a small point.

The cuts in the pictures were .25 DOC in .a .25 pocket (1 pass) at 130ipm with a 15% step over. I used a spiral stepdown entry for the pockets and a .5 inch ramp for the profile

@AllenMassey

Yeah thats probably it you where using a very small step over 15% I was using 50% to save time

From the look of the grind on the tool its not meant for a good bottom finish

maybe rough out material with 50% step over and run a finishing pass at 15% if a good surface finish is required

I learned the hard way about the tools that are not designed for good bottom finish lol the catalog doesn’t always say

Like it you try and drill a 5/15" hole with this tool it will leave a little nub in the center sense the whole tool doesn’t contact the material

I don’t think I have any tools that leave an acceptable bottom finish with a 50% step over.

when you surface your spoilboard you run that at 50% right?

I use a 15% step over with a 3/4 inch wide tool. It does take longer, but if the wasteboard is not smooth everything else is off.

The shapes in the pictures are beautiful.