Make sure it's off

That’s basically it. I have my 611 plugged into an IOT relay and the relay is plugged into my power strip. When I change bits, etc, I unplug the relay, which also removes power from the 611. Is there a better way to power down the router without so much wear and tear on the plug and the power strip? I’m thinking along the line of something as positive as a knife switch. What is used on industrial machines for a guaranteed shutdown? I like all ten of my fingers…

???
My IOT has a switch.

1 Like

If I unplug, I’m sure it’s off. Switches, not so much. Switches can arc.

Maybe the simplest is the best:wink:

I just turn it off with the on board router switch. You could mount a small breaker panel with an outlet.

1 Like

I’m confused, do you not feel safe enough just flicking the switch on the router itself? I don’t use the Relay on mine, I manually turn it on and off, but when I change a bit all I do is turn the router off with the switch on top of it.

1 Like

I switch off the relay and the router itself.

Nope. Too many people have bet on a small switch and lost. It’s too easy to have a power surge and have the switch contacts weld shut. Most large machinery have a breaker panel with a fuse and a knife switch. I’ve wondered how these semi-commercial all-in-one systems like Laguna, Probotics, and CNCrouterparts are set up.

In my opinion it just seems like overkill I’m all about safety but a switch is a switch. I turn it off it goes off I turn it on it turns on.

2 Likes

Just to be uber safe flip the switch on the router AND the switch on the IoT relay, Unless the next door neighbor fires up his Tesla coil, that thing aint gonna spin.

2 Likes

My IOT relay gets a signal from the CNC to turn the router on and off. When I click the button to begin a cut the IOT gets a signal to turn on the router and when it finishes the cut It gets a signal to turn it off. I have never had an issue with the router coming on when it shouldn’t. My Dewalt DWP 611 is plugged directly into the IOT and the power switch on the router is always on. I don’t have ANYTHING else plugged in to the IOT except the signal wires that go to the CNC Controller.

Charley

4 Likes

Ditto,
Ditto,

I also use a relay to turn my spindle on/off, but I always knock it off via the switch on its body when changing bits.

It just takes a bad connection or something to spin the cutter briefly, and I like all of my fingers

When your right, your right. However, one of the sweet things about the relay is that the power is automatically turned on and off. This means that if you are not by your CNC when it finishes then the router still gets turned off and doesn’t continue running until you get back to it. Not that I condone leaving a machine running unattended but many people do. Some even monitor it via a camera feed and have the ability to power it off remotely. I don’ that luxury but sometimes you just have to go pee and it’s nice to know that if it finishes before you get back, the router will shut down.

So, my position is that there is value to having a relay turn the router on and off, however, as you said, one should always play it safe and kill power to the router before changing bits.

Charley

If anyone cares, you will never ever find a manual for a power tool that does not tell you to unplug before changing bits/blades/accessories

You’ll also find q-tips aren’t supposed to be used in your ears, if you read the instructions. It’s all about lawsuits.

It never even occured to me some could be this anal about changing bits, honestly. I think the switch on the router, and the relay both being off is two failsafes enough for me.

2 Likes

That is false. If we are going to be safety nazis then why not go as far as installing a locked switch on the router. Who’s to say that your kid or someone won’t plug the router in while you are changing a bit.

1 Like

This says a lot right there in a nutshell. Being competent and comfortable with power tools, I tend to forget that not everyone is the same as me with them.

I periodically watch propane explosion/disaster videos just to keep myself from becoming too complacent with what I haul around every day.

As others have stated, pulling the plug is the only 98% sure method of preventing a digital (finger) disaster from occurring. The other 2% is that random kid walking by and tesla coils.

For all, do what is comfortable, in fact do a bit more just to be safe. This has gotten me thinking about how I have my standard router table set up, too easy to hit the switch and lop something off.

As for every manual telling you, blah blah blah, read it with the viewpoint of an attorney, it changes the color of what is written by a fair margin and most of it is to protect the mfgr from product liability cases. ie; Really, why would you use the hair dryer while you were IN the shower anyway? But then…

I typically unplug all my tools when working on them, especially my table saw or miter saw, I just feel more comfortable knowing that someone can’t walk by and flip the switch on and there goes my hand. I’ve worked on drilling rigs for over 10 years and you see people getting hurt while doing the simple task that they’ve done hundreds of times before but they decided that taking that extra minute to lock that equipment out was too much time.

Or the famous Har dryer warning “do not use while you sleep”

I agree though that all of these warnings are just to prevent the company from getting sued by all the people who lack common sense. No different than the “hot coffee” lawsuit.

2 Likes

His question, " When I change bits, etc, I unplug the relay, which also removes power from the 611. Is there a better way"

you answered no there isn’t a better way. But there is… Like I said previously nothing is stopping joe blow from plugging in a cord while john smith is changing bits." So is there a better way sure there is, There’s tons. Install a locked switch, install two momentary push buttons that need to be held at the same time to have the machine run.

1 Like