Make sure it's off

I’ve been working with wood for nearly two decades now and it is certainly important to maintain your respect of power tools at all times, sometimes we get complacent and forget that. The one power tool I own that I fear more than any, among all others, is the table saw. That is one tool you should never allow yourself to get complacent with. Shortly behind that I would say a grinder with a wire wheel.

Some got bent out of shape last time a thread was locked. This one is well on its way.

1 Like

How many shop workers does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the bulb and 9 to say “that’s not the way I do it in my shop”.

4 Likes

In my line of work, we use a system called LOTO (lock out tag out) where the plug, once disconnected, is placed into a safety container which is then physically locked (keyed padlock) with a tag indicating who is servicing the equipment, why, when it happens, how long it will take. The locked safety device means that there is no way to plug the device unless the lock is unlocked by the person who disconnected the machine. It also is used as a method to ensure a machine under work is not accidentally plugged back in while it’s in the repair process (i.e. the technician removed a part and went to go get the replacement)

I worked for a company that dealt with residential and commercial power meters (things on the side of your house) and that was big there as we’d change out meters with exposed 220V and 110V contacts sitting right in front of you. My current compay uses the system for all of our equipment (it’s actually more than just LOTO, it involves jump suits, insulated gloves, etc.). Some of that are OSHA standards.

For the purposes of this discussion, physically unplugging the router is sufficient. Stop the little kid when he walks by and tries to plug it and then give a safety lecture.

Do I unplug mine? No. Hell, I don’t even always turn it off with the switch. Mostly because since I use the IOT relay, I never thought about the fact that electronics can fault. I should be more careful and will probably be more careful in the future.

Carelessness leads to accidents. It’s a proven fact. Everyone accepts a certain level of risk when doing anything in life. The problem is some people tend to think that if they aren’t told they shouldn’t blow dry their hair in the shower, that it’s the hair dryer company’s fault…

1 Like

Never take safety tips from a guy nicknamed “Lefty” or “One-Eye”.

2 Likes

Damn. I guess I have to get rid of my Tesla Coil!

2 Likes

Yes, “some” of us did. Especially when you finally gave your reason for locking the other thread.

Should you decide to lock this one, please express your reason for locking the thread so that we can learn what you consider to be acceptable and what you consider to be unacceptable.

Thanks.

Can we just keep it civil general chat?

2 Likes

Someone who knows best — does the job
Someone who knows so so — gives advise
Someone who knows nothing — criticizes the job

I don’t know if any incidents turning relayed 911 on without Grbl command or flipping toggle switch on,

Why people turning simple carving job into science project.

It’s simple relay connection, 911 will not run after and eat you. Don’t worry.
Just take precautions and focus on Fire hazards. Dust collections, electrical wire management ETC.

1 Like

Made a tool to depress the collet lock, seemed like changing a bit was almost a 3 handed operation :wink:

1 Like

I have M05, my router switches are pointed to the front so I can work them with no effort and I’m installing a very large panel switch in a in a conveinant place to shut ff power like a table saw.

Can you make the outlet it’s plug into on a wall switch ?

1 Like

Use a power strip and turn off the switch on that.

Yes you can

Quicker to just Disconnect your cap from the Meter

“DONT DO THIS”

1 Like

I took it back to the store for a refund. I’m not taking any chances.

3 Likes

Burn all the shelves!

you mean y’all don’t swap bits with the router still on???

:grimacing:

1 Like