Making your own powerful Controller on the cheap side

Lifting the X axis or the Y axis won’t change the ability to use the Z axis motor. The limiting factor is the height from the Xcarriage to the Z axis motor plate. To change that height, you either need to use a longer piece of makerslide for the stock Z axis or change to a linear slide Z axis that mounts the motor differently.

Or you could flip the motor and do a direct connect. Make a mount out of aluminum. Also eliminating the pulleys.

Yep. Erik had me at eliminating the pulleys, which means there will be less parts, which means it will be much more dependable. I will search for how to make the mount out of aluminum. Hopefully someone has a template handy.

Thanks guys.

Could you provide a link for the power supply unit you are using? Also, I am trying to better understand the pulse-width-modulation portion on the PS unit; what is its purpose? Thanks.

Kevin is awesome to work with and very good at supporting his product. You will love his equipment.

Those are the nicest I’ve seen so far. Will wait for your review. Might have to order some. Reasonable pricing.

Yep. Lovely build quality, and they work perfectly. Been running some for getting on a year

I have been having issues with x-controller acting up on me and I’m worried I will not be able to figure out the issue :frowning:
I have been watching this thread closely and I’m starting to think this setup for 100$ is beginning to look like a win or I guess could always setup up to G540 and go from there … decisions decision

1 Like

Problem is elusive and developed just recently so its hard to pinpoint. USB issue can be ruled out as the controller stays connected and I did just in case try different system and usb wiring.
The issue I have is that jobs will just end before they supposed and I had this happen with both Easel and UGC with G-code generated by easel and aspire so its safely to eliminate that being an issue. The crash or end is very random, could be an hour in or minutes into same job.
I never updated grbl on x-controller as I had 0 issues and till very recent release grbl did not offer any new functionality.

I’m also looking at replacing the x-controller to be able to go past 24V, this is for sure choking point for my rack and pinions speeds I can push now. All things considering my time and money might be better invested replacing than fixing anyways.

Interesting, just strange that it came out of nowhere and I had no issues running 10+ hour jobs before now it happens a lot if not all the time on long jobs.
Anything special about jtech version or you think I should just go grab newest Grbl some people reported using ?

Have you started your eggbot? I’m trying to find time to build one as well, but haven’t had a chance and it’s dangerously close to easter. I don’t want to pay $100-200, as I have nema 17s and a bunch of spare parts…

+1 on the 269oz motors. Sorry I didn’t do them a year ago.

I didn’t do GT3, but I did do the 9mm GT2 and wouldn’t go back…

I kinda want to do rack and pinion…

1 Like

LOL

Holy hell… polling is a truly interesting tool for guilting/coersing.

@PhilJohnson, I am using an old computer case to house my electronics. Do you have any advice on the protocol to follow for grounding? Can I ground to the computer case? Would grounding somewhere else be a better choice? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I see that it all goes back to the Arduino board.

Hey @PhilJohnson - I know you used the screw wingshield with an arduino for your new controller, along with new drivers, but what did you do for the pwm, probe, homing switches etc…? Did you use the pins directly off the arduino, or extend them to additional screws in the prototyping area?

I thought you’d diverted some of the pins for the homing switches out to add new caps…

He did and he put those on the prototyping area of the screw shield. There’s a picture of it in this thread.

Thanks, that’s what I assumed but never saw in the thread. Re-read it yesterday, must have missed it…

https://discuss.inventables.com/t/making-your-own-powerful-controller-on-the-cheap-side/33328/88

That shows it.