Making your own powerful Controller on the cheap side

Which is why one should look at ALL the files that you have so generously included in the documentation on your site. :innocent:

1 Like

I think his CNC light switch would be a failure if it doesn’t solve world hunger and all z-axis problems when flipped.

1 Like

So i think i miscommunicated / missunderstood the whole ground thing with sheilded cabels with a drain wire. So i drew a picture! Rather than rehash, ill just ask more clearly. Is this diagram correct?

Drain diag.png

What i didnt mention earlier was i am using connectors on my enclosure like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pairs-Aviation-Plug-5-Pins-Male-Female-Panel-Metal-Wire-Connector-16mm-GX16-4/272702612177?hash=item3f7e57a2d1:g:ob4AAOSwX61ZNM2e

That is the grey fork looking thing in my crude picture. Can I just use a 5th pin on that connector for drain(grd) or should i look for xlr connectors with proper grounding posts?

Finally, what happens to the drain wire at the motor end? Is it just trimmed / capped to ensure it does not ground itself anywhere?

Huge apologies for being thick, but the written word is a poor way of communicating technical concepts to non-technical people (me).

Also, @HaldorLonningdal thanks for the locktite tip!.

1 Like

Yes and yes. That connection is good. And the drain wire can be trimmed back, shrink wrapped or what you like. As long as it’s only connected on one end.

2 Likes

Ah, ok. So is it ok to use the same shielded wire with the drain from controller to motor and just not hook up either end of the drain? I just bought 18/4 w/drain and 5 pin connectors to hook up my motors. :persevere::persevere::persevere:

Also, why wouldn’t you run a drain all the way as in the diagram? Thanks for all the info. I have this nasty habit of needing to understand every single detail in the design phase.

Ok, but in my crude drawing the drain isn’t connected at the motor end or at the connector junction, only at the box (PS actually)

So what your saying is that if you have connectors at the box, the wire from box to motor should be unshielded 18/4. Also, at this point, “go read more about grounding” is a fair response, but it seems others may be confused as well.

1 Like

Ok. Don’t take this wrong. But I’m going to break out the coloring book and crayons. (I need them sometimes as well).
Trim back the shielded wire all the way to the outer cover of your 18/4. Leaving the 4 colored wires exposed shrink wrap it. Connect those 4 colored wires to your motor. Run the other side of you 18/4 to your controller.
Now at this point you Connect the 4 color wires to the correct pins on your plug. Connect he drain wire to the pin of your choice and connect the other side of that pin to the EARTH GROUND ( not he negative) of your PS.

They come with shielded wires. Just don’t provide a way to connect the shield/drain wire.

Here is a pdf from Alpha Wire. http://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/alphawire-Understanding-Shielded-Cable.pdf

Ya it wouldn’t be very difficult. I don’t understand why Inventables does nothing to address grounding on the X-Carve.

Ok, my thinking was right all along. Conversation was just unclear Thanks for the crayons. :rofl:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Yes. But it’s not easily accessible with the X-Controller. You have to do as @AngusMcleod suggested and @EliasPolitis just posted.

That would be a yes I think lol

1 Like

Hey all,.

So in continuing some research on the drain issue, I found this.

https://www.evaluationengineering.com/connectors-are-a-major-emi-weakness.php

I’m assuming this needs to be taken with a grain of salt given the use cases are different for a diy cnc and the “demanding environments” the article is talking about, but interesting. Right after figure 1:

“The most common error is in mating the cable shield to the connector shell. To be fully effective, the connector shell needs to mate around the cable shield. Pigtail connections are not acceptable. And running the cable shield drain wire through a connector pin turns the cable shield into a dandy antenna with a matching network (Figure 2).”

Probably has implications for molex style connectors, and other scenarios, no? Anyway thought I’d share.

Did stepperonline stop carrying the TB6600?

Just found a great US based company that has a killer price. Xyltech. Mostly 3d printing stuff though, but they do carry a low inductance Nema 23 1.9nm. Haven’t ordered yet so can’t speak to the actually product or ordering. I did email a question and they got back in a few hours though. Note: their website is cheaper than their eBay or Amazon store.

SKU: MO-N23-76-21B

NOTE: this motor has an 8mm shaft.

Thanks Phil!

1 Like

Hey Greg,. Any tips on your awesome wood wire ducts? I’m guessing 1/4" ply glued to 1/2" for the base with saw kerfs for access? Any cover?

Forgive my ignorance on this. I read this post and Phil’s website, I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

The screw shield is only there to allow the installation of capicators to eliminate noise related to limit switches?

I’ve never bothered with limit switches. So would this be unnessisary for me?