Making your own powerful Controller on the cheap side

Is there a proper way to wire in status leds,estops and power selector switches?

Make sure to observe the current ratings of these devices. Unlike motors (they really don’t either), switches don’t handle over current gracefully.

Im in the final planning stage of the demon controller idea. I wanna put some indicator lights and start pause buttons along with power switches (above). Whats a good layout? And what do need to see in a glance?
i know i want:
Main ac power- switch and light
VFD ac power- switch and light
spindle on indicator
Estop.
Feed stop pause start
What else?
Do i need to keep the “ac” stuff separate from the “dc”?

Howdy all! This is an amazing thread! Whew, just got through to the end. Got a shielding question. I’ve got my limits wired with stranded cat5. It’s utp. I’ve split a pair to wire both no/nc positions. Should I ground the unused pairs? Thanks!

1 Like

what’s the projected total cost for this?

Probably a little more of you get fancy with control knobs.

How far should I mount the Ac components? I noticed many different builds and controllers have the power supply right up against the tb6600. Am I missing something? Or misunderstanding something?

Hey. Do you have a wiring diagram for the limit switch filters? Thanks @PhilJohnson

This is the filter setup for the X-controller. It works quite well and gives a faster response time. I recommend using this one.

X_controller_filter

Repeat for the other axes with the appropriate changes. Also, put one on the Probe input.

2 Likes

I don’t understand the diagram that well.

Those capacitors are way too large. I used to use 0.47 uF capacitors. Yours are 100 times the value that I used to use.

I’ll try to explain the schematic.

A wire comes from a gShield pin (D10 for Y axis) that wire hooks to one lead from the 0.01 uF capacitor and also to one lead of the 100 ohm resistor.

The other lead from the capacitor is hooked to ground.

The other lead of the resistor is hooked to the wire that goes to your homing switch Normally Open connector.

The Common connector from the homing switch is connected to ground.

:neutral_face::expressionless::persevere::hushed::tired_face::confounded::disappointed::triumph:

Ordered the resistors and .47 and .01 uf.

If you use the circuit with the 0.01 uF cap you don’t need the 0.47 uF caps.

What purpose does it serve if it’s not in series with the limit switch.

Check out how I’m planning on mounting my tb6600.

2 Likes

Looks nice, but you are going to have some dense wiring there.

2 Likes

As it’s all dc I was thinking about wire combs! :kissing_heart:
How hot can they (tb66) get during use?

@AngusMcleod @LarryM
Can you give any insight into those RC filter values (100Ω and .01uF)? Why is the frequency so high?

The filter is to eliminate the electrical noise, not the true signal. Valid signals are low frequency. Noise is high frequency. You want the filter to eliminate high frequency signals.

It’s a low pass filter.

You could raise the value of the capacitor to tighten it up a bit, but that would increase response time for the valid signals