Making your own powerful Controller on the cheap side

What are the settings now?
Start slow and increase until you have issues. Drop back down 10% and test a few more times.

Hi Neil:

These are my settings on GRBL 1.1f

$1 = 255 (Step idle delay, milliseconds)
$2 = 0 (Step pulse invert, mask)
$3 = 0 (Step direction invert, mask)
$4 = 0 (Invert step enable pin, boolean)
$5 = 0 (Invert limit pins, boolean)
$6 = 0 (Invert probe pin, boolean)
$10 = 115 (Status report options, mask)
$11 = 0.020 (Junction deviation, millimeters)
$12 = 0.002 (Arc tolerance, millimeters)
$13 = 0 (Report in inches, boolean)
$20 = 1 (Soft limits enable, boolean)
$21 = 0 (Hard limits enable, boolean)
$22 = 1 (Homing cycle enable, boolean)
$23 = 3 (Homing direction invert, mask)
$24 = 25.000 (Homing locate feed rate, mm/min)
$25 = 750.000 (Homing search seek rate, mm/min)
$26 = 250 (Homing switch debounce delay, milliseconds)
$27 = 1.000 (Homing switch pull-off distance, millimeters)
$30 = 12000 (Maximum spindle speed, RPM)
$31 = 0 (Minimum spindle speed, RPM)
$32 = 0 (Laser-mode enable, boolean)
$100 = 40.072 (X-axis travel resolution, step/mm)
$101 = 40.000 (Y-axis travel resolution, step/mm)
$102 = 49.880 (Z-axis travel resolution, step/mm)
$110 = 8000.000 (X-axis maximum rate, mm/min)
$111 = 8000.000 (Y-axis maximum rate, mm/min)
$112 = 2000.000 (Z-axis maximum rate, mm/min)
$120 = 500.000 (X-axis acceleration, mm/sec^2)
$121 = 500.000 (Y-axis acceleration, mm/sec^2)
$122 = 300.000 (Z-axis acceleration, mm/sec^2)
$130 = 790.000 (X-axis maximum travel, millimeters)
$131 = 790.000 (Y-axis maximum travel, millimeters)
$132 = 100.000 (Z-axis maximum travel, millimeters)

Iā€™m worried about the clicking/ticking noise when moving, doesnā€™t look like missing steps, but I havenā€™t carved anything yet. With the GShield I had no noise, so Iā€™m ruling out something mechanical, especially because both X and Y do it.

Thanks.
ā€¦Peter

Cut your 110-122 down to a fourth of what they are. Do you still get the clicking?

Also, check your wiring of the step, direction, and enable inputs to the driver modules for loose, broken, shorted wires.

$0 should be 10 for spindle work and $10 should be 1 for grbl 1.1f

1 Like

Thanks Neil and Larry.

I will try this tomorrow morning when I have access to the machine and will give you a proper answer then.

ā€¦Peter

Larry: I set $10 to 1, $0 was already 10.

Neil: I set 110-111 to 2000, 112 to 500 and 120,121 to 125, 122 to 75

Same noise and missing steps, I marked the motor shafts and executed a macro to jog in a square and diagonal patter multiple times. With the lower settings it took 2:11. With the previous settings the same macro only took 35 seconds, also noisy and losing steps.

I also tried the drivers at the 2.8A setting and same results.

The noise sounds to me like driving in gravel at low speedā€¦

My machine was running fine with no strange noises before the new controller. I just wanted a stronger controller with individual Y axis drivers.

Any other ideas I could try?

Thanks again.

ā€¦Peter

Disconnect all but one of the stepper motors and see if the remaining motor works ok.

I guess that would be X axis motorā€¦

Sounds the same with only X connected.

The movement is very strong I canā€™t stop it applying force with my hand as it is movingā€¦ But it is still missing steps, so weird. The test I just did was using the slower settings Neil had suggested before.

With all of the motors hooked up, do each of the motors seem to have the same strength?

Yes, they all seem very strong, canā€™t stop them.

The X motor seems to be making a bit of noise while idling, like the sound you hear when the water is running in another room from a different place in the house. But it not very loud.

Iā€™m mainly concentrating on the X and Y axes right now, the Z axis also makes an awful sound, especially at these low settings.

Is there a chance that GRBL is sending the pulses too fast to the Arduino, or that the Arduino is too slow. This Arduino is different than the one in the other controller, but itā€™s a genuine R3. Same model but older.

Grbl is the firmware that runs on the Arduino to interpret the G-code that is sent to the Arduino. The Arduino generates the signals that control motor motion via the stepper motor driver hardware.

It is possible that your Arduino has corrupt firmware on it. Have you tried reloading grbl?

Yes, you are right of course, I didnā€™t think that through properly.

It is possible, but not probable. Iā€™ll get a fresh copy from the Inventables fork. Should I try 1.1f again, or should I try your version (I donā€™t have a laser)?

Go ahead and use 1.1f

I used xLoader to upload the new file. Not sure it worked since all my settings are still the same nothing changed.

Same behavior, bummerā€¦

I just noticed there is a 1.1.G, should I try it?

No.

Did you use exactly the same stepper motor driver module that Phil used?

I couldnā€™t say itā€™s exactly the same one, they look the same and have the same specs advertised. They are TB6600, but I did get them from eBay about 15 bucks each.

Do you think all of them could be bad?

It would be unusual for four of them failing, and in the same way. What I was looking for with that question is the switch settings may be different for the modules that you got and therefore if you used Philā€™s documentation you could have the drivers wired incorrectly, or configured incorrectly.

All TB6600s are not the same. In fact the modules that I used donā€™t even use the TB6600. Mine have a follow on chip that has some corrections to the TB6600 chip, but they are still sold as ā€œTB6600ā€.

You seem to be fighting a power supply problem, or a wiring problem, or a configuration problem, or a stepper motor problem or a flat failure of the drivers.

Iā€™ve taken you about as far as I can unless you have an oscilloscope or other diagnostic tools.

What you are seeing just doesnā€™t make any sense.

I certainly appreciate all your help diagnosing this problem Larry.

I have setup the drivers according to the label on the driver, using Philā€™s suggested values, So I think Iā€™m OK on the switches.

I would think the possibility of a wiring error is there, although with the motors moving when they should move and in the right directions that kind of rules that out.

Could be a power supply problem, I checked it and its right on 24.0V, and does not appear to be fluctuating according to the meter, but thatā€™s not definitive.

I agree, it doesnā€™t make sense. I do have an old scope, but I doubt itā€™s good enough to see anything useful.

I will double check the wiring, maybe I missed something. I will post here if I figure it out. I would hate to go out and buy new drivers only to find out that wasnā€™t the problem.

Again, thanks for sticking with me and if you can think of anything else, please let me know.

All the best.

ā€¦Peter

Just looking back at this. Sounds like @LarryM had run through a lot. Can you post the link to your drivers?