Making your own powerful Controller on the cheap side

The drawing for the clips show a 2.75 mm slot height and 7 mm slot width.

With a 3mm pitch you’ll probably need to open em up a bit.

1 Like

@LarryM, what effect will using one driver for two motors have on the output signal? Would you suggest wiring the motors in series or parallel?

I wonder if the motors were wired in series, would one motor move before the other when a signal was sent. My thinking says yes, but it may be a very small amount - I have been known to think wrong most of the time though :slight_smile:

Given it’s even possible to connect in series, you would probably have some propagation delay from motor 1 to motor 2. Might be minimal but in stepper world, it’d probably be enough to wreck havoc.

I think the bigger issue would be the drop across motor 1 though.

@DEX

Save me a lot of typing. Don’t do this.

5 Likes

If you have the current limit set to the maximum for the stepper motor that you have and you have $1=255, the answer is a bigger motor.

Doesn’t affect holding power.

Easy to check.

I have three of these. Haven’t put them in a machine yet. (they are 76mm long)

2 Likes

The stepper drivers we have reduce current if they are not actively stepping. Before buying a new stepper, try turning up the current. Watch the stepper case temperature. It’s ok for them to run warm. Watch temperature during long runs in summer conditions. After a hard 12 hour run mine hit 142 F one time. Most of the time they are 30F above ambient. They are 3 amp rated and I have the driver set for full power. The higher the current setting the hotter the drivers will run. Make sure your drivers are well actively cooled.

1 Like

Depends on the driver and its setup. Some do, some don’t.

The X-controller has this capability, but it can be enabled/disabled with a dip switch setting.

1 Like

Try 2b stepping. I prefer my z at 4 micro stepping. I think 2a gives less power than 2b. 112 f is not hot.

1 Like

Doesn’t change the holding torque, just the ramp up/down step size.

Think of 2A as a power drill and 2B as an impact wrench.

1 Like

Same company sells on ebay, higher prices but free shipping.

Also on Amazon at higher price:

https://amzn.to/3Qoj5cM

1 Like

Ouch! Mine wasn’t that much, but I ordered them a long time ago.

Phil, go back to the linked site - in the upper right corner click on the American flag. Then locate the motor.

Should be $20.50 with $7.07 (North Carolina) shipping.

@PhilJohnson

1 Like

http://us.stepperonline.com/nema-23-cnc-stepper-motor-28a-19nm269ozin-23hs302804s-p-25.html

Those are the motors I am running on X, Y and Z now.

The motion is incredibly smooth at both crazy high speeds and low speeds with plenty of holding power.

1 Like

Does replacing the stepper motors with larger ones really improve the performance/behavior of the XCarve?

I did more then just motors, I think the combination of the steppers and the Gecko G540 controller has much better performance.