Manual Probing Z Axis Only

I just used manual probe for the first time and realized there’s a huge feature gap.

I did my rough pass with a 1/4" bit and used the auto-probe, then manually set my XY zero.

Then, I did my detail pass with a 60deg bit but instead attempted to manually probe this one because sometimes the tip of the 60deg cuts a hair too far. When doing so, I assumed I was only probing/zeroing my Z axis and decided to probe not exactly at the front left corner of my material AGAIN.

What ended up happening is it unexpectedly set a new XY zero and cut the wrong part of my piece.

There should be an option to only zero “Only Z Axis” OR “XY AND Z Axis”

Um, I haven’t run a carve today so something may have changed that I missed, but in the past, this has been 2 seperate steps in my recollection.

So long as proving is turned on as an option, then whe the user selects to manual the Z then they will set the z manually, then move to the next screen where they are asked to either use the current xy, or to use the prior xy… and it sounds like you’d want to select the"use prior xy" option.

Maybe you could put together a small sample design. And just carve it in air as a test to double check these screens one more time :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I believe that Seth is correct. You should first have the option to manually set the surface or use the Z probe. After you have done this the next screen asks you to set your X-Y or to use the previous location. If you select not to use the previous location it will select the location that the X-Y is at at the time you hit enter. I made that same mistake myself the other day.
Hope that helps.

2 Likes

It is a serial process, you just did not pay attention. Not this, but I made similar mistakes.

I have looked at the Probe versus Manual Set Work Zero. I do NOT see a way to manually set Z to zero separate from setting XY to zero. Being able to manually set Z to zero in a separate location from XY zero would be very helpful, in fact in most cases where I manually set Z to zero, I would find it preferable to set it separately from XY zero.

1 Like

On the right of Z Probe button is another button to manually set Z height - (and you can chose to use last Z there too). This is on the screen prior to setting XY zero.

I keep looking and cannot find a screen to manually set the Z height separate from the X/Y setting. What am I missing?

Hi again,
So I’ve done a few tests, and you’re correct - if you manually set Z height there is no option to set XY separately. I think it’s assuming that you’re setting Z height at the front left corner of the stock, therefore records XY as well.

It might be worth you putting in a call to inventables to discuss.

You’re correct the Z can be either Probed OR set in conjunction with X,Y but there is not a manual method to set Z only. At least not in Easel. Personally I prefer to download the gcode and use OpenBuilds control and it does facilitate this function. :+1:

Thanks for verifying that I was not missing something. I will take a look at the OpenBuilds Control.

1 Like

wouldn’t a g92 x0 command in the machine inspector do it?

1 Like

Yes that would Set Z independent of X,Y, But then he’d also need to manually do the X,Y zeroing using the G92 manually typed method as well, and then when he gets into the “Carve” button sequence in Easel, he’d need to select “use last for X,Y,Z” and for 90% of Easel users, we’ve already lost them on this procedure… :man_facepalming: So I tend to ignore the manually typed zeroing option as it usually leads to more confusion than it really helps, especially when other gcode sender softwares offer this function built right in. :person_shrugging: