Marc's XCarve

Update: Another lesson learned. When following someone else’s plan for the base, make sure you count the number of extra parts you need in advance. Also. the instructions do not make it clear which pre-assembly Tee Nuts to use where. There are two types, and it is very hard to tell the difference between them.

I’m not blaming you, @PhilJohnson. I’m blaming me. And as far as the two different types of Tee Nuts, I’m also not blaming you. The Inventables instructions were not clear, so I called customer service and spoke to Paul directly. He was very helpful in clearing up any misconceptions I had. Your plans are great. The person most at fault here is me and my own lack of experience building something this complex.

1 Like

I did too, but apparently not enough. I just ordered more. I also ode red an extra length of 20x20 extrusion, since I didn’t have enough of that either.

1 Like

Update: after running out of M5 10mm screws, I received replacements today. Now I have run out of tee nuts (1 nut short). So now I have to wait on Amazon to get more.

Update: I finally received my order of tee nuts. I also ordered additional M5x10mm button head screws. So after many trials and tribulations, I have finished the waste board and the aluminum plate and the extrusion underside. The last thing I did was put two coats of sanding sealer on the waste board planks.

1 Like

Update: Progress is being made. The X Axis end plates and X Carriage are nearly complete.

1 Like

Update: Assembly of the major components is complete. Wiring of the components in the drag chains is complete. I did make a slight modification to @PhilJohnson’s WasteBoard, by adding self stick measuring tape to both sides of the Y Axis and Z Axis. This will make calibration a little easier I think. I may have to add one to the front of the X Carve to help with calibration of that axis as well.

1 Like

Update: Wiring is complete, finally. I made a small stand to put the X Controller on and hide most of the wires. Neatness counts, so I wrapped the wires that run along the X Axis in a cable wrap. I would have preferred black, but the local big orange store only had white. I’m still debating painting the stand or not. I fired up the controller and all the motors locked up solid, as expected. I had to adjust a couple of eccentric nuts. I also had to call Inventables support, because when I first went to install a connector to the back of the controller, the controller card slid to the front of the machine. Apparently, there is supposed to be a step in the instructions to install 2 M4x10 button head cap screws on the sides of the X Controller case to act as a stop for the controller card. But that step is missing in the instructions for a new X Carve. It is in the upgrade instructions. Here are some photos.

2 Likes

Where did you pick up the self sticking measuring tape from?

I got it from Amazon. Just do a search in Amazon for “self stick tape measure”. $6.03 per roll and free shipping from Amazon Prime.

Update: IT’S ALLLLIIIIIVVVVEEEE!!!

5 Likes

What Z axis are you running?

It’s a linear Z Axis from a company in Canada. CNC4Newbie.com. But it’s. Healer if you buy their product on EBay. It does not come with a stepper motor, so you have to provide one. I got mine from steppers online.

1 Like

Have you tried to mount the Suckit shoe to it yet? I have the same linear rail set-up that you have and have been wondering if the shoe would fit.

I haven’t tried to mount the Suckit yet. But there is enough room on the sides of the Z Axis to superglue some 20x20 extrusion. It just so happens I have a couple of pieces the right size, left over from my box frame mod with the aluminum plate. I’m also thinking I might be able to rig up some sort of clamp to reach around the extrusion and the z axis plate. There isn’t enough meat there to drill screws through, so it will have to be a clamp.

It would be great of you if you could take some pic’s of your Suckit install process so not only me, but others with this particular Z axis can get some pointers.

I will do that once I figure out what I’m going to do. I’m still having issues getting files imported properly to carve out.

Which Z-axis did you buy from them?

http://cnc4newbie.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=37&product_id=86

1 Like