Measuring tool in Easel

No measure tool available, but you can cheat by making an object to the desired size, place it over the edge and visually inspect its size relative to the known size.

1 Like

Guidelines like in sketch up would be amazing!!

1 Like

Totally agree on the need to do measurement. Accurate measurement of distances between points of the image, to within 0.1mm accuracy, diameters of circles, radii of arcs etc would be extremely useful. Perhaps even angles between lines.
Need to know a lot of this information before sending G-code to CNC router which cuts to 0.01mm

1 Like

Any news on a measuring tool yet?? Even MS paint has had it for years.

Alright everyone, if you’re savvy with javascript, here’s how to implement a simple measure tool to output the distance between two points when you click on the workpiece. Here’s an example of the output:

By no means is it perfect, but it works.

1. You need a way to “inject” code into your session of easel. If you’re not comfortable doing this, then don’t. I use “Custom Javascript for Websites 2” which is a google chrome extension.

2. You will need to paste the attached code into the injection extension.

1. Save and Refresh your page

2. The tool will run automatically and you should see “length: 0in” right next to the unit selection. Just click on two different places on the canvas and the length should update for you.

NOTE: I haven’t extensively tested this or anything. Use at your own risk

Let me know if you have questions and I’ll try and help.

( @Ben-Saks @JeffTalbot - Maybe this could be added to Easel as a tool? )

EaselMeasure.js (2.2 KB)

1 Like

Hi Ethan, thank you for the inventive ideas. We are actively working on additional design tools for Easel - measurement is on that list. As far as using code injection extensions, Inventables does not recommend this as it could cause unexpected errors and potential for projects to become corrupted or unrecoverable.

2 Likes

Yes a simple measuring tape would be very helpful similar to what they have on Google sketch up

Yes i vote for a measuring tool also. Thanks

A measuring tool would be very helpful when designing within Easel. Similar to PowerPoint, where you can see the distance between objects. Additionally, the ability to add guidelines would be a nice enhancement to the pre-existing alignment functionality.

Agreed. Measuring tool would be great. I needed it today when I was trying to make the spacing between the text and an object, the same as the spacing between the object and alternate text. The gridlines are helpful, but not nearly accurate enough for real measuring. Another example, I want to put a clock together. I want to be able to see how the clock arm will look. Sure I can make a square/line close to the same size and guess…but I would like more precise measuring.

1 Like

It is amazing that this doesn’t already exist or they built the program without it.

I see this thread started way back in 2015 about a measuring tool for Easel Pro. Looked like last post was in 2022. They STILL don’t have such a tool 8 years later? I’m about to give up on Easel Pro as this is a critical thing for my kind of projects. Any suggestions as to an alternate program WITH this basic measuring tool feature?

Tks - Brian

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.