Memorial Photo

I ll give it a try, but my belt just broke on the spindle. Have to wait for a new one to arrive.

Inserting a picture on a box. I have done something very similar to this. I use a 12 x12 piece of wood. I center a 5 X 7, picture size cutout on the wood. I make the cut 3/16, inches or 0.188 inches deep. I place the photo of that size in the cut, place a piece of non-breakable glass over it. I seal it with waterproof Silicone and then stain the whole piece of wood with a waterproof stain, not allowing stain or finish to get onto the glass. It would not have to be waterproof if not going to be outside. You can cut the size of the insert cut to any size your want. I have found 3/16 to be the best depth for me to use. I hope this may be of some help. I could show you a picture, but I donā€™t know how to post a picture. I realize this box youā€™re building will not be 12 x12 inches. But it could be any size or shape. I have used round, octagon, square, and oval.

Hereā€™s a pic of one I did of my sons in August. I canā€™t remember for sure, but I think I used a 30deg bit on this.

Nice picture of your sons, Oh if mine were that young again. But that would mean they would be back in the house. We sort of like being empty nesters. Will let you know how it turns out once i get a belt.

1 Like

One option is to use laser engraving directly on your box. Such laser engraver can be install on the CNC carving machine, using the same control box for driving the laser system.

When you say ā€œdrop easel and use a senderā€¦ā€, have you another suggestion for a very newbee?
Iā€™m trying to carve a photo of mymy newborn nephew for my sister.
Thanks for any help.

I have done several using Easel, since itā€™s the only thing I somewhat know. Iā€™ve done my father-in-law and 2 grandsons and 1 of my dogs. They turned out good, but I have tried others but if itā€™s just not the right pic, you just canā€™t adjust easel enough to cut it Good.

Didnā€™t mean to out the sled in thereā€¦ lol

Neil, beautiful. If itā€™s not a trade secret, please describe the steps you took to get the photo into Easel. Was the photo black and white? Did you paint the board, then carve? I have been struggling to v-carve a photo for a long time now, and I just donā€™t seem to be able to nail it.

I think you would have to engrave a picture using a laser engraver or by hand with pyrography but I donā€™t 5hink it would be very successful with easel.

Easel just sends the gcode which is generated by the not-secret RasterCarve i linked to above. That image of my sonā€™s was an experiment done on a scrap of PVC that I painted black. I believe the image was edited to be black and white and I possibly inverted the colors. All easily done in any image editing program.

That is awesome Neil. Can you tell me what the material was and how you finished it? Iā€™d love to do that on some kind of wood, maybe pine but I donā€™t know how Iā€™d finish it. Maybe stain would show the different shades?

Thanks @DonaldRawlins! It was really just a test. I used a piece of PVC that I spray painted black. I donā€™t know that Iā€™d use pineā€¦ It wonā€™t hold detail very well. If you donā€™t invert the image as I did in that example, you could use a stain and just let it sit in the carved areas.

Thank you Neil.