Messing around with halftone carving

I hope to get a picture soon if it ever finishes lol

and oh heck yeah man well heck i even ran my x-carve at 180ipm in somethings but I think 200ipm is about the limit for the x-carve machine would literally shake itself apart doing carving like this lol maybe

its funny I complain that I can’t go 3500ipm like some cnc routers can do cutting cabinet nests

I like the SPEED :smiling_imp:

see even at 180ipm it really never gets above 33ipm

yeah I believe so because the machine never has a chance to get up to speed with such short runs

I am curious though when you set the feedrate to a value what does it set the plunge rate to? I am assuming that it sets both to the same

I am using feedrate over ride in mach3 to bump up the speed but when I originally created the code the only feedrate I see is f100

@PhilJohnson

Well it’s another fail!! The low tack tape pulled the white off

do you know of a tape that is more low tack then blue painter tape?

@PhilJohnson

are you going to get some acrylic to try out that method that you where talking about?

I am curious to see exactly what you mean lol

@PhilJohnson

Oh okay I get it looks like 2 color hdpe when finished with alot of work in painting etc.

I curious why not just use 2 color hdpe? is it just cause it might be cheaper and maybe found at the box home store?

I get it though its a different effect because the acrylic on the top side is untouched so you would never see the engraving

yeah might be something interesting to play around with might have to sand the acrylic so the paint sticks

but there sure are more color choices doing it this way then 2 color hdpe

I played with a lot of 1/4" thick 2 color HDPE last week with the new Carvey at work (yay, new toy!!!). I found that it has a topcoat thickness of about .050-.060". I asked customer success about the 2 color acrylic, and they said the topcoat was .005".

I wonder if after engraving you have to flame polish really quick to get the clearness back in the acrylic from all the tool marks

1 Like

@PhilJohnson

Like this right? Or should I be checking the invert box?

or like this

I did the carving in the photo with the settings on the first screenshot (black background and white lines)

I think that it didn’t show up very good because I was using a 90 deg tool and not my 60 deg (cause apparently I decided to break it this morning lol)

so with the 90deg tool being more sensitive to material flatness it missed some lines where it was supposed to engrave

oh yeah I see what your saying I didn’t paint that its just that white faced hardboard they sell at lowes so its already white on the outside and black on the inside

so if I use that material I should be able to just invert the image in the software and it should come out better I am thinking

1 Like

No one has posted this problem, but …
I am using 500mm XCarve with GRBL 0.9j and carved a “dots” picture that went nicely until Microsoft decided it was time to update Windows, so the bottom corner is missing. I tried a “lines” version of the same image, but GRBL threw an error 24 right at the start, and the machine went off into space. Some poking around found that GRBL doesn’t like the “G49 G80” commands in the initialization of the file; removing those two commands solved the problem. Also if you’re using a DeWalt, edit the “S30000” to read “S12000” or your spindle start may be ignored.
Many Thanks to Jason Dorie for a fabulous program!

thanks why I use dedicated computers for the cnc machines that are not connected to the internet and have all the update settings turned off the only thing the computer should be doing is running the machine nothing else

Shouldn’t have started a job on Tuesday (Windows update day) so my bad.

1 Like

If you look at the two pictures you posted, the software is showing you what the surface color of your material is on the border of the image. In the top picture, the border is black, showing that the program is configured to make light cuts in dark material. If you click the invert button, you get the bottom image, showing you dark cuts in light surfaced material.

1 Like

I don’t know what that means lol?