META: Projects Feedback

After using Easel and the Projects section I though I’d kick in a bit of feedback

Things I liked, even loved

• The ability to go straight from Easel into creating a project, good stuff
  • Free image/file hosting for project files. Absolutely brilliant and useful
  • Project links display include the project title. so nice

Minor issues

• Inability to turn off the auto cycle of the header images
    ** when images are a different size it jumps the page around, making it hard to read any instructions
  • Image display dimensions should be listed up front (aspect ratio is already so it helps)
  • Public should not be the default (and should be selectable on the creation page, in line with other info)
  • Subtitle (in the Overview section) appears to do nothing and isn’t visible anywhere I could see
  • Materials adding is a bit over complex… you have to know the exact store page title, and the exact part number
  • Materials not available via Inventables should be listable in this section
  • Tools section appears to be non-functional, and should allow listing other tools (for instance there’s nothing as simple as a hammer in there)
  • Not sure if there are any specific reasons for using the old version unported CC lisenses… the (current) new ones are generally considered to have better international support
    ** Might be nice to include the logo images with the license
    ** Would probably be good to allow other licenses, or an optional waiver space, since technically products made with the instructions also inherit the license terms (which I don’t think is an intended consequence, or even common understanding in this use case)
  • in the Instructions section, selecting multiple, or deselecting all images to include in a section is non-obvious (ctrl+click) and could use a small note after the “Choose Photos” label

Potential Improvements

• BBCode instead of Textile for formatting in instructions section
    ** more familiar to most users, easier to maintain and control (but probably a PITA to setup)
  • User Selectable Categories (either preset options, or #tags) for automatic sorting… potentially required for making it public?
    ** reduces the need for staff to categorize projects, allows cross categorization, automates user collections
  • Report Function for public projects
    ** automates spam control
  • Number coded URL’s with optional title extensions
    ** Prevents unopenable projects if the title parser fails on unicode characters, allows identical project names eliminating title parser checks and unique identifier additions
    ** ex: www.inventables.com/projects/GY47X3/Random-Project-Name/ but only requires www.inventables.com/projects/GY47X3/ to open
  • Ability to delete project
    ** copied projects can’t be removed, and can generate a fair amount of cruft. perhaps limit it to private projects or time frame?
  • private projects probably shouldn’t be visible via the the userpage to other users

Overall I really love the projects functionality and appreciate it’s availability. All the listed items are just minor nit-picking, but if it never gets said, it never makes it to the next iteration right? = )

2 Likes