Milling 8/4 wood

I’m creating a new project using 8/4 wood and concerned about how to profile cutout the end product since my end mills aren’t that long. Am I overthinking this, or should I try and find a source for longer end mills?

this might help

YG-1 - 54558 E5026 Carbide Square Nose End Mill, Extra Long Reach, Uncoated (Bright) Finish, Non-Center Cutting, 30 Deg Helix, 2 Flutes, 3" Overall Length, 0.125" Cutting Diameter, 0.125" Shank Diameter: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

When I work with thick slabs, I just cut part of the way through on the machine. Off CNC I come back with a jig saw and a flush trim router bit. Much faster and less chances for something to go wrong.

2 Likes

Thanks Neil. That sounds like a safe and practical approach. I appreciate your help with this.

Tom

1 Like

Ken - Thanks again for responding to one of my posts. I wasn’t aware of this and will check it out.

All the best,

Tom

I routinely use my x carve and rout down 1.5" deep with a .5" straight bit. The stock I use is 1.75" thick. When done with the straight bit, I go in by hand with a laminate trimmer and 3/8" pattern bit to cut it out. I run the trimmer on the outside of the .5" wide cut and then the inside after the waste is removed. I clamp the waste and parts down so they don’t move until I want them to move. A drilled starter hole makes the laminate trimmer pass easier.

Amana Tool 45245 Carbide Tipped Straight Plunge High Production 1/2 D x 1-1/4 CH x 1/4 SHK x 2-1/2 Inch Long Router Bit (toolstoday.com)

Freud Flush Trim Router Bit, 3/8" Cutting Dia. 42-100 | Zoro

Marty - thanks for your response. I don’t have a 1/2 capability as my router is a Makita trim type, but I can employ the technique just with other tools.

Thanks again,

Tom

Sorry I thought I put the 1/4" shank ones in there…
Amana Tool 45214-01 Carbide Tipped Straight Plunge High Production 5/16 D x 1 CH x 1/4 SHK x 2-3/4 Inch Long Router Bit (toolstoday.com)
Amana Tool 45245 Carbide Tipped Straight Plunge High Production 1/2 D x 1-1/4 CH x 1/4 SHK x 2-1/2 Inch Long Router Bit (toolstoday.com)

Amana Tool 45249 Carbide Tipped Straight Plunge High Production 5/8 D x 1-1/4 CH x 1/4 SHK x 2-7/8 Inch Long Router Bit (toolstoday.com)

Then there is this at 3" long.

Mesee Set of 2 Pieces Extra Long Straight Router Bit Set, 1/4-Inch Shank Double Flute Straight Grooving Bits Trimming Cutter Woodworking Milling Tools with 2" & 3" Cutting Height: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement

1 Like

Martin - thanks for your help with this and for following up with this information. Put the Mesee 2 pk on order and will give them a try.

Best,

Tom

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.