Milling bits for chocolate (yes, I am crazy)

Hi there. It sounds a little bit weird, but I would like to know which type of bits would suit me if I am going to carve chocolate bars. I tried V-bits and it do not really work as chocolate chips stay in thin picket lines and I cannot get in out (probably it melts a bit). Hope there are crazy people like me who tried it :slight_smile:

Not sure that you would be able to carve unless you froze the bars and maybe the endmill. The bit turning generates heat and melts the chocolate so IMO, you would need to have the router at the slowest speed possible, in fact you may want to use an external router speed control like this to further bring your speed down so it does not melt the chocolate. Your feed rate will also be important, you will need to experiment. Don’t forget to wash the endmill!

How about changing your process?
Use the X Carve to create a mold for the chocolate?

4 Likes

That’s fine if you are making your own chocolate instead of milling existing chocolate bars.

I tried it already. It works. Thanks for the link. Do you know if i can adjust router speed in Easel?

Hi there! Yes, we are making our own.Some ppl use laser for it. I tried and it does taste bad like a burning chocolate. https://www.noteworthychocolates.com/

Thanks for being active. So, guys. Which bits would you recommend? :slight_smile:

I’d use a single flute upcut endmill typically used for cutting plastic. Maybe HSS instead of carbide for a sharper edge. Feed as fast as the machine can handle.

If your router is controlled by your controller, you can change the speed by clicking on “Machine”.

Can I ask what, exactly, you’re doing? EDIT:Never mind, clicked your link. Pretty cool!

This is a cool idea and I’m going to try it. If it works my students are going to love it.

Here are my thoughts beyond agreeing with most of the comments above.

I think the key is to keep the chocolate solid while cutting, so I’m going to try freezing the chocolate and setting up the cut early in the morning before I fire up the heater in the shop. I’m also going to rig a compressed air nozzle to the spindle mount to blast the chocolate chips out of the cut path.

I’m going to try to use a 60 degree v bit, and I’m also thinking of chasing the mill with freeze spray while it’s cutting, but I have to investigate the toxicity of any potential freeze spray residue.

Make sure the air is oil free. I would ideally use a water cooled VDF spindle for such a task since the chocolate is ment for direct consumption. A router produce carbon dust (brushes wearing), bearings are oiled etc…
For personal use I’d accept that, but not sure I’d accept tthat as a paying customer.

Frozen chocolate discolor (turn white on surface), keep it cool during the process but dont freeze it.
Make sure the chocolate is tempered correctly prior to carving, it will give it the nice surface sheen you’d want and makes it more “dimensionally stable”. Untempered chocolate will melt from touch alone => great risk of finger imprints and other defects due to carving.

I would not use a compressed air blast, in addition to possible oil, dust and dirt could be embedded in the chocolate, use gloves. I was not aware that chocolate did not freeze well, maybe place in fridge and carve on a frozen tray/mold to keep it cold during carving. Of course you will also have to figure out the holding method. Please report on your project.

I’d carve the finished product in wood, make a small box and cast food safe silicon over the carving. giving you a reusable mold and melt the chocolate into it

Very Cool!

We will be carving small stuff then Vacuum forming sheet of 4 or 6 using food grade PETG
Since you cannot carve any undercuts, most shapes, figure, etc work well.
Chocolates can be painted with a coco based glazing colored with food dies.

You can freeze chocolate just fine as long as it is already properly tempered and set. The discoloration is called fat bloom, and it happens when the non-solidified chocolate forms the wrong type of fat crystals as it cools. If you have well-tempered chocolate bars (good shine and crisp snap) you’ll have no issues with them being frozen.

So is this an ad or are you really interested in milling chocolate? If the latter, I’d mill a negative form and pour molten chocolate in it. Much more time efficient and probably a better idea hygiene wise